We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dive equipment shop on Seven Mile Beach

hemel hempstead
Level Contributor
180 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Dive equipment shop on Seven Mile Beach

Can anyone tell me the name of the dive equipment shop along 7 mile beach? It's in one of the plazas, I just cannot remember the name. I have tried to search the Internet but it just comes up with dive operators.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Dive equipment shop on Seven Mile Beach

"DIVERS WORLD" - in Seven Mile Shops

AVOID! AVOID! AVOID!

To anybody wanting to buy any diving/swimming equipment, DO NOT SHOP IN "DIVERS WORLD"!!(located in the Seven Mile Shops)

This shop should not be open to the public as it is an insult to anybody shopping there, especially people that have no resources and are not able to follow a complaint as they are on holiday, most of them for the first time in the Island!

Several cases of extremelly rude and appalling selling practices and behaviour in particular from the actual manager/owner have been vented, mine being the latest one published in a review website.

Most people are on holiday and unfrotunately will not bother to complain or share their experience with Divers World.

Please see link to review website below and share:

reviews.ky/2009/…

Thank you

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Dive equipment shop on Seven Mile Beach

I've had a bad experience with Divers World, too. Back in October of last year my air integrated dive comp displayed an error code when I first powered it up on-island. I took it to Divers World and they spent a day looking at it. I assumed that the battery was dead, and it just needed replacing. I know that they are a sealed unit, so I doubted they could do anything, but figured why not, on the off-chance they could, meaning I could dive with my comp.

Not only did the guy tell me my battery was dead, but he also said that there was some sort of high altitude error had tripped that couldn't be reset, that the unit was not repairable, and that it was an obsolete model, no longer supported by Uwatec. I asked him if I should send it back to the manufacturer for repair, and he told me that there was no point.

I brought it back home with me, took it to my regular dive shop, and they sent it away for repair - I was expecting the worst - turned out it was just a routine battery replacement, and that the unit wasn't broken at all, that they most definitely still support it... and no charge for the battery (due to their "batteries for life" program).

So, the only two conclusions that I could come to were that the guy (who was their tech guy) didn't know what he was talking about when it came to Uwatec dive computers (which I find hard to believe) or he was trying to get me to buy a new dive computer by lying to me (which would be shady business practice).

On the other side of the street, Divers Supply has been fantastic when I have rented stuff from them. I recommend folks take their business there.

Edited: 9:18 am, May 22, 2013
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
213 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Dive equipment shop on Seven Mile Beach

Divers Supply is the one on the same side of the road as Chicken Chicken, right?

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,397 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Dive equipment shop on Seven Mile Beach

Yes Divers Supply is on the same side as Chicken Chicken. It is on the corner in the strip mall so you can't miss it.

hemel hempstead
Level Contributor
180 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Dive equipment shop on Seven Mile Beach

This is bizzare as I posted the initial post........whilst on our recent trip my husband and I needed to have the batteries changed in our Suunto Mosquito computers, this was at the end of our trip but decided to do them before we returned home. We had the choice of the two diver shops and went to Divers World.........and we so wished we hadn't!

My husband wore his when snorkelling and noticed that it wasn't registering in dive mode........we checked mine and it seemed ok.

Took his back to Divers World and they were very rude saying we didn't know our computers and that there was nothing wrong with it..........we then pointed out that it was showing the battery sign which meant battery needs changing ....he had the cheek to say that symbol is there all the time!

We argued it out with him and evetually he agreed to put another one in it. I asked him to check mine too as I didn't trust it. But he wouldn't.

Ok got my husbands back and now ok. We get home and now my battery warning has come on again.....they definitely used duff batteries.

I was not going to put anything on here as I don't like putting bad comments as it may have been a one off, until I saw the update to my post today. We should definitively be highlighting how bad these people are.

I emailed them at the weekend, I know I am now back in England but they should be told..........funny they haven't bothered to respond.

Please all note this is DIVERS WORLD and not DIVERS SUPPLY......Divers Supply are really good, we have used them lots of times......

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
213 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Dive equipment shop on Seven Mile Beach

Thanks, Retrip. We, too, have had excellent service at Divers Supply. Too bad to hear about all the issues at Divers World! Glad we landed where we did when my first mask needed an upgrade.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,397 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Dive equipment shop on Seven Mile Beach

I would add that the best way to get batteries changed in the newer computers is to send them back to the manufacturer. I love Diver's Supply and have used them regularly fro 20 years. I leave my dive equipment on the island and therefore dropped off my computer to DS to have the battery changed. First time in the water after the change the screen turned to gray mud!! Luckily for me the computer was still under warranty and I had had it done at an "authorized" repair shop so it could be replaced. DS kindly checked everything for me. Unluckily for me the car was broken into and all the thief got was a broken dive computer with no paperwork so it was worthless to him (I had to buy a new computer). Apparently some of the older units were easy enough to change batteries, many of the new ones are just too delicate (?) -- interesting idea for a dive computer!!! Moral of the story send yours back to the manufacturer and save yourself a potential expensive lesson!

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Dive equipment shop on Seven Mile Beach

For me the moral of the story is to check your computer enough weeks before you leave that you have time to send it to the manufacturer and get it back in time! I have now done two dive trips without my own computer, and I really missed it.

19. Re: Dive equipment shop on Seven Mile Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 25, 2014