We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silver Sands, taxis, grocery stores, snorkeling and more!!!!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
327 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Silver Sands, taxis, grocery stores, snorkeling and more!!!!

Hi all,

We (couple in our early-mid 40's) will be visiting there in late May. I don't really want to rent a car. We are considering silver sand condos and plan to hit the grocery store so that we can have drinks, light meals on hand. I love to snorkel and would love to be close/on a nice beach for sunbathing, jet ski's (rentals), & possibly a snorkel tour. It would be great if these were in walking distance. How far is a grocery store for. Silver sands? Anyone know what a taxi would cost from the airport appx? Any information you'd like to share or add would be greatly appreciated. We have a reservation at the Marriott right now but are considering a condo for more room to stretch out... We'd rather be around couples vs families. Thanks in advance

New Hope...
Level Contributor
758 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Silver Sands, taxis, grocery stores, snorkeling and more!!!!

North Seven Mile beach is a great place to stay. Foster's supermarket is very close to the condos on north Seven Mile Beach, less than 1/2 mile. Supermarkets do not sell alcohol, so you will have to go to a liquor store. A taxi should cost a least $25. The beaches will be uncrowded given is the off season. Most tour operators will pick you up at your condo. A car is recommended if you want to go to restaurants and to the liquor store.

Mentioned in this post
Seven Mile Beach
Seven Mile Beach
4,744 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
327 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Silver Sands, taxis, grocery stores, snorkeling and more!!!!

Wow thanks George! I found a map that said we would pay $30ish to the hotel/condo.... I plan to bring my alcohol with me... :D I'd believed the grocery store was close...thanks for confirming it! I've read that cemetery beach was close and a great place to snorkel--looks lie a 5 minute walk--yeahhhhhh!

All I have to do is confirm the tours and I think I've got it made!

I don't want to rent a car--can e taxi to restaurants for dinner? Is that realistic??

Mentioned in this post
George Town
George Town
Grand Cayman
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Silver Sands, taxis, grocery stores, snorkeling and more!!!!

i have a condo at Christopher Columbus and i have been going to Cayman since 1981. Spend the money to rent a car that is a small economy car using Kayak to search or look at Andys Rent a Car. it is too expensive to use taxis in Cayman and you will miss a lot of the sites and things to do by not having wheels. in May is the low season and cars are cheap. There are plenty of good restaurants in all price ranges and they are in different places up and down seven mile beach and in morgan's harbor, also camana bay. snorkeling is good all around that part of the beach and not very crowded. of course i am prejudiced but i think the condos are nicer at Christopher Columbus and the pool and beach are definitely nicer there.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
327 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Silver Sands, taxis, grocery stores, snorkeling and more!!!!

I'm scared to drive on the wrong side of the road :(

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
327 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Silver Sands, taxis, grocery stores, snorkeling and more!!!!

PS off to look at CC now! lol

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,105 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Silver Sands, taxis, grocery stores, snorkeling and more!!!!

There is also bus service ...really vans that are inexpensive, but if you are out late, take a cab home

7. Re: Silver Sands, taxis, grocery stores, snorkeling and more!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 09, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach