We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cayman Newbie!

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
106 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Cayman Newbie!

My husband and I are staying at the Westin this weekend. We are looking for a few restaurants for dinner. Some of the things we enjoy, a good bottle of wine, great scenery, don't mind paying top dollar for a great meal, outdoor dining, not big on seafood.

Can you suggest three restaurants that we should not miss?

We are seasoned 40 something travellers that usually go to Turks & Caicos, looking for another adventure this year.

Thanks,

Christine

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,389 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cayman Newbie!

Some of the "top" restaurants are closed this month, so your finer dinning options will be a bit limited.

Some of the finer (relative) dinning options with water views that are open:

Luca (slight view), Grand Old House (great view), La Dolce Vita (good view), Calypso Grill (think it is open, good view but seafood), Morgans Harbour (good view but seafood), the Wharf (great view, not a fan of the food). Ortanique (slight view), Abacus and Michael's Genuine (slight view) at Camana Bay. Tukka and the Lighthouse on the other side of the island.

Other options sans water view: Edoardo's, Blue Cilantro, the Brasserie, Papagallos, Copper Falls, Casa Havana (not impressed the 1x we ate there).

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,263 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cayman Newbie!

I totallly go with Luca, When I'm there I usually eat inside -- we are all about the food. Morgan's Harbour's is outstanding view and food, and Hemingways probably has the best sticky toffee pudding on the island and if you get a table toward the beach you are in for a treat. I was very disappointed with Blue Ciilantro. Right along the middle of SMB there are not that many restuarants that are not hotel affiliated on the beach, but if you go a little further afield, we have found that Casanova (always a huge favorite for Iitalian has incredible views from outside (Christmas eve we ate on the sand with the water lapping up right next to us. If you go to GT, check out My Bar at Sunset House -- casual basic food, very good Indian and fantastic views. I thought Copper Falls was okay but get great steak in NY, Texas, etc., so was thrillled.

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
106 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cayman Newbie!

Thank you! Are any of the restaurants within walking distance?

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
106 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cayman Newbie!

We are leaving tomorrow and the forecast calls for rain. Does it clear up, or is the rain constant. Seems like the same forecast for the past week.

claimbert1
Level Contributor
53 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cayman Newbie!

Hello, we are here right now, and though it has rained everyday it was only for a short time. We have been able to do all of our activites. Having a great time!

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
106 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cayman Newbie!

Thanks I feel better, hopefully this weekend will be o.k.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,821 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cayman Newbie!

La Dolce Vita, Seaharvest and especially The Wharf have spacious outdoor, waterfront seating and what I consider to be good food. The outdoor seating at Casanova and Calypso Grill is cramped, and I felt crowded at both to the point of distraction. Guy Harvey's has a small balcony facing the cargo area of the harbor but they don't cram it full of tables in an effort to seat extra patrons. We had difficulty at Guy Harvey's last month with unchecked rowdiness from a party crowd so we have crossed it off our list.

Can't comment on the wine lists, I am a cheap date and drink house brands.

Crowley, Texas
Level Contributor
344 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cayman Newbie!

We are eating at Grand Old House tonight. Fantastic outdoor seating on the rocky shore. Great wine list, quite pricey, but worth it for an evening to remember. Fairly short cab ride from Westin if you don't have a car. Good luck!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,389 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cayman Newbie!

Supposedly they (GOH) just finished a minor renovation and updated the menu. Eagerly awaiting your impressions.

Hockessin
Level Contributor
1 post
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cayman Newbie!

Are the restaurants and attractions within walking distance, or do you need to rent a car?