We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car/7-mile beach

Minnesota
Level Contributor
654 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Car/7-mile beach

We will be stayijng at Treasure Island on 7-mile beach in February and were planning on renting a car the last 3 days of the trip (staying 7 days). We thought the 1st few days we would just hang out in the 7-mile beach area, take a tour to Stingray City and then on Wednesday rent a car for the last 3 days. There will be 4 of us (all adults) and we love to walk. Will we be able to walk to good restaurants or is this not really possible? Also, can we get to Georgetown either by walking or bus? Just want to make sure we aren't making a mistake by not renting the entire time. Thanks for all of your input!

Florham Park, New...
Level Contributor
102 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car/7-mile beach

your fine without a car. ti is at the end of 7mb not far from the Marriott. there are plenty of good restaurants nearby or within walking distance or you can simply take the taxi/bus. you simply start walking in the direction you want to travel and they will beep at you. the service is pretty regular along 7mb. great breakfast (and also lunch and dinner place) is cimboco. Same people i believe own chicken chicken. even if you really wanted to you could walk from where you are staying to the crux of 7mb. ive done it carrying my daughter, probably a good two miles to the ritz. plenty of restaurants all along 7mb. as to georgetown its probably about a mile or two in the other direction. arguably its walkable, but, again, worse comes to worse you take the bus/taxi which are very inexpensive. i think your plan is a good one. this way the last three days you can venture out to other places on the island. i would strongly recommend you visit rum point/cayman kai, eastern districts, starfish point and others will make similar recommendations. no reason in my opinion to rent the car for the first four days. the only issue you have to understand is that the taxi from the airport i believe is about 65 us and i would say the airport is no more than 15 minutes (driving) from where you are staying. the only other issue is that you also do receive a discount when booking a car for 7 days. but again i think your plan is a sound one. you really will not need the car to travel to most of the restaurants on 7mb.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
431 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car/7-mile beach

I thought the exact same as you when I went in may. I ended up renting a car the very next morning. Trust me you want to rent a car...

Hamilton
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Car/7-mile beach

Rent a car I just got back and I'm glade I rented a car. You could rent one for about $ 200 or more.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,001 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car/7-mile beach

The taxi fare from the airport to TI is no where near $60? I think it's closer to $20

Edited: 2:07 pm, July 16, 2012
Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car/7-mile beach

$18.00 US is the cost of a taxi from Owen Roberts Airport to the Treasure Island/Sunset Cove complex. It is $60 if you are a fat, fat cat tipper.

Dallas
Level Contributor
5 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car/7-mile beach

I checked the taxi rate I found online and the rates seem more reasonable than $60 but the chart may be outdated. Anyone have any current rates or recent experience with the taxi rides in Grand Cayman? Arriving next week and need to decide if I need a taxi or a car.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,262 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car/7-mile beach

grandcaymansunrise certaunly erred regarding the taxi rate from the airport to Treasure Island. Testudo's and caymanshelly's quotes are accurate. The rates are set by the Government and the driver can quote you the fare to your destination before you get into the cab.

Edited: 5:56 pm, July 16, 2012
Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,262 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car/7-mile beach

kiddos erred..... certainly

Dallas
Level Contributor
5 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car/7-mile beach

Thanks for info and quick reply kiddos!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car/7-mile beach

Look to the TOP Questions FAQ section...it may have many answers to many commonly asked questions like current taxi rates from the airport.

Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach