We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Traveler to Grand Cayman with my kids - nervous

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
70 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
First Time Traveler to Grand Cayman with my kids - nervous

Hi. I will be going with my husband and our two kids to Grand Cayman. We don't really want to rent a car but would like to know the SAFEST way to get to our hotel (the Westin). Is there a public bus that is safe or are the taxis safe? I am nervous about this because I was planning on going to another Caribbean island but decided against it because some of the posts I read said some of the taxi drivers would rob you or take "different routes" to the requested location. I want to be especially careful since my children will be with me. Any advice anyone can offer would be very very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time Traveler to Grand Cayman with my kids - nervous

Take a taxi and stop fretting. You will be charged a flat fee to the Westin and I have never heard of a taxi driver robbing a tourist. I'm taking my 3 grandsons in a couple weeks. I wouldn't do that if I didn't believe it wasn't safe.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time Traveler to Grand Cayman with my kids - nervous

I have been to many islands where people do take advantage. I just read about people being shot at an airport in Mexico. I have been to some island countries where there were guards with machine guns outside not only banks, but liquor distributors, etc.

This is positively absolutely not the case in the Cayman Islands as well as some of the other countries. There are no people hawking on the beach. The people are delightful and friendly. I have had the opportunity on many times of being at the Redbud and World Show at Will Rogers. I have never felt uncomfortable (except for the heat) driving my daughter to and from the grounds for practice at all hours of the night even before I had the lay of the land figured out. I loved the people in Oklahoma City and it was one of my favorite on the show circuit (we went to many many places). I would hold Grand Cayman at par or perhaps even a notich about your lovely city. I hope this helps ease your mind. Have a great holiday and please come back with questions!!!

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,680 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time Traveler to Grand Cayman with my kids - nervous

Busses do not go to the airport and cabs are waiting right outside as you exit the airport. Go to the dispatcher booth and they will get you to a cab. Have a great trip.

New Hope...
Level Contributor
734 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time Traveler to Grand Cayman with my kids - nervous

I have found the taxi drivers to be very pleasant and helpful. If it is your first time to the island, they will be very eager to tell you about the attractions. The fee for a taxi is based on a flat rate. The dispatcher at the airport will tell you the fee to your hotel and the taxi will honor it. Given that it is a flat rate there is no incentive to take a circuitous route. Also, the taxi drivers seem to be a close knit group. If there was a rogue driver, I am sure the other drivers would do something about it because they do not want their livelihood impaired.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
70 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time Traveler to Grand Cayman with my kids - nervous

Great points. Thanks so much. This really puts my mind at ease.

Harker Heights...
Level Contributor
233 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time Traveler to Grand Cayman with my kids - nervous

yep. Just take a cab and relax. You'll see soon enough that everything will be just fine. Have a great trip.

Oxford, North...
Level Contributor
37 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time Traveler to Grand Cayman with my kids - nervous

We are here now, and have rented a car, and driven all over the island the last three days. Every place we have been has seemed very safe. McCurley's picked us up and dropped us off, our car was waiting. Not sure if they do just drop offs or not, but we really liked them. Safe driver,nice people. The taxi driver we had in the Bahamas almost scared us to death,,,,, but this experience was great! Everyone has been very friendly, and the whole island seems very safe. We have a 12 year old an a 19 year old with us.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
68 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time Traveler to Grand Cayman with my kids - nervous

The taxi service is pretty easy. Clear customs and they will help you right outside the door. It is easy and safe!

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
70 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time Traveler to Grand Cayman with my kids - nervous

Thanks so much for your help. I appreciate you taking time on your vacation to respond. Have a wonderful time.

10. Re: First Time Traveler to Grand Cayman with my kids - nervous

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 30, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach