We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What excursions to pick for Grand Cayman Island?

Uncasville...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
What excursions to pick for Grand Cayman Island?

Hi All!

I am traveling to Grand Cayman on Carnival Valor in Nov. 2006. I am trying to decide what excursions to do in each port as all the excursions are similar. Any suggestions on Grand Cayman? (I am also traveling to Costa Maya, Belize City and Roatan, Honduras; suggestions please!)

I have heard 7 Mile Beach is great and the snorkeling is good too (I have heard that for each of the ports!). I am just not quite sure what to do!

HELP!

Thanks!

mmaarree

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Shreveport...
Level Contributor
452 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What excursions to pick for Grand Cayman Island?

Our first trip to Cayman was on a cruise ship. We avoid any 'cruise excursions' because they usually herd you with a couple hundred other passengers & you don't get to enjoy what ever activity you do as much as if you were in a small group.

For our cruise visit, we walked around Georgetown shops for an hour or so, then caught the local bus for I think around $2.50 & took it down to the West End for lunch at a place called Cracked Conch which a local recommended. The bus driver (they are minivan buses) was chatty and basically gave a tour guide spiel along the way. The Cracked Conch was an excellent recommendation - ate nice caribbean lunch on the patio overlooking the sea. The snorkeling there is ok (we snorkeled there on another trip, not the cruise one) but see below for better options. Also, the restaurant is right next to the Turtle farm, which is a big tourist attraction (& one of the cruise excursions). We've never been to it in six trips...there is too much great snorkeling to do that we'll never do in the states, and I just don't get excited about turtles...

From there, we caught another bus, which to continue the 'west end loop' takes you by Hell, another popular tourist attraction. Didn't go on the cruise trip, we just stayed on the bus and headed for Cemetery Beach (part of Seven Mile beach by a Cemetary, hence the name...). We did visit Hell on another trip...sent the obligatory 'postcard from Hell' and took all the tourist pictures. Again, it's neat, but with limited day, we headed for the beach.

We didn't know where we were going to the beach, so the bus driver just dropped us off at Cemetary. For a beach, it was nice and relaxing. No facilities. If I was going for the beach on a cruise excursion, I'd probably try to go to one of the hotel beaches. They didn't kick us out when we went on another trip, but we weren't trying to use any of their beach chairs or anything either.

Sorry, more later, got to run!

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
Seven Mile Beach
Seven Mile Beach
4,744 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Shreveport...
Level Contributor
452 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What excursions to pick for Grand Cayman Island?

back - After the beach, we stopped another bus & went back to Georgetown, wandered around a bit, then caught the boat back to the ship.

If you only plan to visit Cayman once, then I would vote for Stingray City. I can't think of any other place like this, plus you get a wonderful boat ride, or catamaran ride if you find one, and some good snorkeling at a stop before you see the stingrays. Please, DON'T BE AFRAID - the stingrays are VERY GENTLE and won't harm you...Just do it! I STRONGLY agree with the previous post that recommended a private charter - you can make arrangements via Internet. Grand Caymanians are very trustworthy people & will not 'screw you' if you book ahead, only to find they aren't there. I don't think I'd say the same if you were stopping in Jamaica, for example.

If you don't want to go to stingray city and want to find a great place to snorkel, there is a restaurant about 100 yards to the right (East) when you get off the boat transfer called Paradise. There's a little stand right in front of the restaurant that rents snorkel equipment, and also scuba gear. The snorkeling is simply AWESOME right there, maybe 30 yards out from shore. There is great scuba diving right there too. My wife was pregnant on one visit & couldn't dive, but the snorkeling there was 'almost' as good an experience! The restaurant, by the way, used to be very good, but it changed hands a few years ago and last year it wasn't as good. It's still a nice place to end the day sipping a drink of your choice while waiting to board the transfer.

We've also done the Atlantis submarine in Cayman. I'd recommend that too for those who don't want to get wet, or for those with small children (or older adults). It's probably cheaper to pre-book it on your own rather than going through the cruise line, but I don't remember the cruise cost.

I hope that helps! Please post if you have any other questions!

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Stingray City
Stingray City
5,948 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
cayman islands
Level Contributor
156 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: What excursions to pick for Grand Cayman Island?

Stingray City is the most popular excursion and also the most fun and unusual of the ones offered. I think you'll love it.

Mentioned in this post
Stingray City
Stingray City
5,948 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Georgia
7 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: What excursions to pick for Grand Cayman Island?

We used Captain Marvin's. Small group. Great prices. DO NOT book from the cruise ship unless you want to be one of about a hundred people on your excursion! And... Capt. Marvin's was $40 pp for two snorkel sites AND sting ray city. Cruise ship was charging $100 pp for JUST sting ray city.

Mentioned in this post
Captain Marvin's
Captain Marvin's
1,795 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Madison,WI
Level Contributor
529 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: What excursions to pick for Grand Cayman Island?

We stayed at Anthony's Key in Nov. 2005 and had a great time. Cruise ship people would show up during the day to visit the Dolphin training site. You stand in the water and the dolphins swim around next to you. Some people like that.

Our most fun excursion was The Zip Lines Canopy Tour. You are carabinered to cables that connect tree top platforms through the jungle. It's a rush because of the height and the speed, but if you're up for some adventure with a bit of physical work this is great.

The best part, this cost us about $35. and no one else was around.

The worst part: This gets crowded when cruise ships are in and you can end up waiting around a long time.

16. Re: What excursions to pick for Grand Cayman Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:30 am, August 12, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach