We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport in Grand Cayman

Los Angeles...
12 posts
Save Topic
Airport in Grand Cayman

We will arrive at GC airport at 11:30AM (Friday in June 2011), will the airport be crowded? What do we expect to see there (long line, slow service, etc.)?

Some people mentioned about how difficult to cross the street at SMB. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

1st time ever to GC and can't wait.

Thank you.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,515 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport in Grand Cayman

"Congestion" at the immigration and then customs processing queues depends on a few factors, foremost being the number of plane loads of passengers being processed at any given time. If you are the only plane in the terminal it is usually not a long process; come in just after two other craft were deplaned you could be in for a long wait. I have not found the processing to be slow (i.e. "on island time"), but if they are short staffed it sure can seem that way.

Since you are from LA and "nobody walks in LA", I can appreciate your concern about crossing the street. When crossing the main Seven Mile Beach thoroughfare, West Bay Rd, be extra cautious and make sure to LOOK TO THE RIGHT first, as this is where the oncoming cars will be originating as they drive on the left in Cayman. Do not expect cars to stop for pedestrians along this stretch of road (not saying they won't, but for safety's sake just don't expect them to).

Edited: 3:28 pm, April 14, 2011
Los Angeles...
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport in Grand Cayman

Hi Testudo,

I have seen many many of your replies on TA and would like you to know how much we appreciated your time and kindness in helping others to have a good vacation. You really make this world a much better place to live.

Thanks again.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,515 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport in Grand Cayman

Happy to help.

:"-)

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
422 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport in Grand Cayman

We haven't been to Grand Cayman for 4 years and are wondering if there have been any changes to the airport or if the deplaning and immigration stations, baggage claim, and customs lines are the same as before or is the setup different?

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,515 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport in Grand Cayman

All I am aware of is that they have been futzing around with the departure security area layout and queues, removed the schlocky retail stalls there, added some new retail shops on the outside of the the terminal ticketing area, and changed the queue to the food place in the departure area to a proper line.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport in Grand Cayman

One thing that worked for me and I learned on this forum is to take the line to the right when you disembark and are in the terminal. The lines were long, but sure enough, they opened up the locals line for everyone. We were right there in the line next, so we got through ASAP. Great information. We made it through in five minutes!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,515 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport in Grand Cayman

Shhh....can't tell everyone about the local lanes or soon they won't be available.

PA
Level Contributor
571 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport in Grand Cayman

Sadly, I think that ship has sailed.........the last two times we were there, instead of individual lines at check-in, they had one continuous line, like a bank........they do however direct you to whichever booth is available first, including the locals line. You know, it's the only line I can honestly say I'm happy to be in...........I know what's awaiting is pure bliss!

Celine

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,515 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport in Grand Cayman

Welcome new East End DE! Congratulations!

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,863 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport in Grand Cayman

Yes, Congratulations, Celene!

Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach