We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Cayman vs. Barbados

Level Contributor
60 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Cayman vs. Barbados

Hey Folks,

I beg your patience, as I previously posted that I was selecting between accomodations in Barbados, but am now considering Grand Cayman - The flights in June to the islands are almost similar and I'm comparing the Ocean One in Barbados to the Islands Club in the Grand Cayman, which are also similar in price.

We have two sons 16 and 18 and we're interested in scuba, golf and enjoying the water and of course food. We like smaller local spots to eat, water sports and plan to rent a jeep to ride around the islands for dry-land adventures. So I would greatly appreciate any pros/cons of either islands and promise not harrass this board anymore!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
The Islands Club
The Islands Club
85 Reviews
Grand Cayman
NC
Level Contributor
573 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Cayman vs. Barbados

i found it interesting on what some of the people responded with in your post in the Barbados forum. I think you'll get more pro's than con's in here for the Cayman's, and vice versa due to the people being more partial to each island.

I've never been to Barbados, but I do have a cousin who's been to both and he enjoys the Caymans better much better because he dives. Hands down, no comparison there which the people in the Barbados forum did get right. But to say they are not friendly and it's more expensive is going a bit over board. Yes the USD is worth much less in the Caymans but someone correct me if i'm wrong but the prices appear higher in Barbados than let's say they would in the Caymans. Here's an example.

Going to the website for the supermarket in Barbados (http://www.supercentre.com/shop.html), using a can of Campbell Tomato soup just as an example, the BBD price for a can shows to be $3.29, which when you convert to USD that comes out to $1.65 usd....In the Caymans, that same can at Fosters Supermarket costs $1.35 KYD and when you convert that to USD, it comes out to $1.66 usd...I'm sure certain things in Caymans may cost more, but after speaking with my cousin and him being to both, he didn't see a big difference to even notice.

Oh and to the member who said GC was not attractive. not friendly", that's just crazy. When we went, we couldn't have felt more safe and everyone we talked to was extremely happy and friendly it seemed. That was a big change compared to a lot of places we've been. And about the island not being attractive? Well, just take a look at some pictures and you'll see clearly that's not the case.

You'll find some very nice golf courses, look here for info on them: www.caymanislands.ky/activities/golf.aspx

Oh and far as Stingray city being refereed to as a "mob scene", what we did was take a personal jet ski tour there through here: http://www.ciactionmarine.com/

And we were able to experience the rays away from all the crowds...very nice and great experience I'm sure your kids would thoroughly enjoy.

Far as eating, well, let's just say you won't be disappointed. GC

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
7,118 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Cayman vs. Barbados

We were married in Barbados so it will always hold a special place in our minds. We ended up buying a home in Grand Cayman because we preferred the beaches, the snorkeling and the people.

Barbados is a much larger island both size-wise and in population. While Grand Cayman is a raised coral based island and relatively flat, Barbados is volcanic formed island with a much more varied landscape.

Both islands have a well educated and friendly populous with a good road infrastructure for driving around and exploring. There is more to explore in Barbados, while Grand Cayman offers much better diving and snorkeling. There are many more beaches in Barbados, but we didn't find any that truly compared to Seven Mile Beach in terms of sand and water quality.

Food-wise, you can find just about any type of food in either. I like the local fish in Grand Cayman better (not a big fan of Kingfish or Flying Fish) and find the beef there to be more to my liking. But I do love the rum shops in Barbados. Even though no longer a British territory, Bardados has retained more of an overt British feel, while Grand Cayman has obtained a more American feel.

So, based on your list of desired activities I'd rate the two as follows:

SCUBA/Snorkeling = Grand Cayman, not close

Golf = Barbados (more courses)

Water Sports = slight Edge to Grand Cayman (Sting Ray City is unique).

Food = draw

Dry Land Exploring = Barbados

Great Vacation = Either

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,722 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Cayman vs. Barbados

Before visiting Grand Cayman, B'dos was the vacation of choice and was our number one pick out of where to make a second home. GC won that race hands down for a number of reasons. Before committing to Cayman we went back to B'dos and were glad we made GC the selection. B'dos is more lush and beautiful topographically hands down. The diving is much much better in GC, it is easier to get around, there is no hawking or undercurrent (we visited B'dos probably 20 times + and my husband used to live there, so this is only meant as we haven't found it at all in GC, but found it much more in other places), I would not let my kids go out alone as teens in B'dos, I did with no problems in Grand Cayman. I think overall there are more restaurants to chose from in GC, that said some of my absolute favorite individual meals were in B'dos. If you stay along SMB especially the central section there are many places you or your kids can walk to with no worries. I did stay at both hotels and villas in both places, I think the choices for villas/condos in Cayman is much better which is great with a family especially with teens/divers. Good luck in deciding!!!

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,195 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Cayman vs. Barbados

First off...rest assured that you are in no way "harassing". Your post is really what TA is about. As far as choosing.....we enjoy both. I've done Barbados numerous times so now in that Region prefer Grenada (less expensive, less developed and some of the warmest people we have ever met. Great Diving/Snorkeling, beaches, rainforest and waterfalls) No golf. We also enjoy Grand Cayman and will be there in Feb. If I were buying a second home and choosing between Barbados and Grand Cayman...it would be Grand Cayman. GC is much more "americanized". Some very good restaurants with and "international" staff. We met lots of European and Australian servers etc. Grand Cayman has exceptional diving and snorkeling. Overall we find it quite expensive. Ther landscaping is lovely but is...landscaping.

Barbados is more natural (outside of the Capital). Some breathtaking scenery if you rent a vehicle and roam about (Bahtsheba not to be missed as well as Cattlewash).Much more in the way of small locally owned eateries and "local" food offerings. Lots of small family owned spots in all areas you visit. Good Golf options as well. If I were choosing an "adventure" for 16 and 18 yr olds for them to see something quite unlike the US....my choice would be Barbados. For just a casual family vacation on one or two lovely beaches with incredible snorkeling.....good but not really unusual food...Grand Cayman.

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Grenada
Grenada
Caribbean
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
5. Re: Grand Cayman vs. Barbados

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 14, 2011