We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mariott or Westin

Queens NY
Level Contributor
190 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Mariott or Westin

Going to Grand Cayman for Presidents week . Which hotel is better for 2 children 14 & 11. Best Beach , pool and least grief looking for a llounger at pool or beach.. Thankks

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,557 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Mariott or Westin

Ill be the first of many to suggest you look at the option of a condo rather than a hotel. Check out www.caymanvacations.com.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mariott or Westin

If a condo is not in the cards for you, I vouch for the Westin over the Marriott. We've stayed at both many times. Both have a lot of positives and are in line with what you're looking for. For us, we think the Westin has the best beach on SMB as it's big, plenty of space for all. The Marriott beachfront is small and can be crowded, especially during the high season. The Marriott has a nice man made reef that's easy to get to/from the shore. Not deep at all. The Westin doesn't have a reef. The pool area is better at the Westin...bigger too, swim up bar. The Marriott has a small plain pool. The Westin is more $$ than the Marriott but you'll probably find the extra cost worth it due to all these factors.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mariott or Westin

I agree with both posters. If you must have a hotel then definately the Westin over the Marriott for all of the reasons Bozzie mentioned. Agree with Sue, however, that a condo is the way to go. You will have far more indoor and outdoor space, privacy and convenience than you will have at any hotel and save money overall on food and beverages for the family.

Boston...
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mariott or Westin

Just returned from the Marriott Thursday and the beach is crowded. We walked up SMB several times and the Westin seems to have a much larger beach and it looks like a newer, higher end resort. I will say that the Marriott staff was first rate and very friendly but the location, IMO, is not as nice as the Westin.

As another poster said, there are a lot of nice condos for rent and I'm going that route on the next trip. Lots of condo listings on VRBO.com.

Midlothian, Virginia
Level Contributor
29 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mariott or Westin

The Marriott has 20% off if booked by November 30. You can get an oceanfront room in the $300's in high season, which makes the cost SIGNIFICANTLY less than the Westin.

This is one time we listened to our wallet and booked the Marriott for the end of January.

It's still a great hotel!

new jersey
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mariott or Westin

I am going the same Presidents day week with 2 8 year olds and chose the Marriott specifically because I was able to tack on the all inclusive option with Marriott points. I could have used Starwood points for the Westin, but they do not have an all inclusive option.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,831 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mariott or Westin

If you're not locked into a hotel, then a condo is the way to go. I don't know if you are planning on 1 hotel room, but a condo will give you so much more space and the kitchen will come in very handy (can save lots of money that way). Go to www.caymanvacations.com for an idea on location on 7mb. You can also visit websites such as vrbo, etc.

Queens NY
Level Contributor
190 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mariott or Westin

Thank You

9. Re: Mariott or Westin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 08, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach