We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

condition of Grand Cayman since Hurricane Ivan

1 post
Save Topic
condition of Grand Cayman since Hurricane Ivan

has any one visited Grand Cayman this year 2005 since clean-up. I am looking for general info. on the condition of the island. Considering taking a vacation there in Jan 2006.

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: condition of Grand Cayman since Hurricane Ivan

We've been to GC every year for the past 9 and have been there since Ivan. Even with the changes we're heading there again for 2 weeks at Christmas'05 and 2 weeks in March'06. We could travel elsewhere but like those who really know Cayman, we'll return again and again. Warm sun, sandy beaches, great restaurants ...etc... The Caymanian people are wonderful and the Island has so much to offer .... to watch that beautiful sunset on 7MB holding a glass of your favourite vintage is worth every second .. then it's off to Ragazzi's, Bambo, Hemmingways, etc.... don't want be anywhere else ... especially when it's friggin -20 back in TO .... enjoy ...

Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: condition of Grand Cayman since Hurricane Ivan

I was there in May/June of 05. Yes, the island took a big hit but the people were working so hard to get things up and running. The flora and fauna took a real big hit. But CI is still my favorite place to visit. I would say go for sure.

Will share more if you are interested.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: condition of Grand Cayman since Hurricane Ivan

I too am going for two weeks in Feb 2006. We stayed last year in Feb. 2205 at the Westin. It was lovely. The island was badly hit, not many businesses where open, maybe a dozen restaurants. Nearly none of the strip malls open and the Kirk Market was open. With food. I will always love Grand Cayman. My 12th year and the ocean is what we come for. The water is beautiful. Not a lot of people, like these forums say. But to go relax and enjoy great people and a relaxing vacation. I'd go. I am looking too, to find a condo rental place. We have always stayed at the Cayman Reef Resort, they are not leasing short term unless you have a contact. We are looking for one. Love the condo life on GC. Interested in what the island is like with recent hurricanes and flooding this 2005 season. Can anyone update me on the islands status. Wanting to know if all businesses are still flooded out. Which ones are open? Will call direct for information.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question
George Town, Grand...
Level Contributor
763 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: condition of Grand Cayman since Hurricane Ivan

kccaymangirl, we had no flooding or damage in 2005....there was some coastal erosion in a few places due to high wave action as Hurricane Wilma passed a few hundred miles away on her way to Mexico, but other than that, nothing this year... except continued recovery from Ivan in 2004....you'll have a great time :)

Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: condition of Grand Cayman since Hurricane Ivan

richardgwv, where is bonaire?