We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay in the caymans?

new jersey
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best place to stay in the caymans?

We are thinking of going to the Caymans next April, I am so afraid the beaches won't compare to the beautiful island of St. John, but I have been told the Caymens are great too. Can any fellow travelers recommed a great place to stay for a fam of 4 with 2 teens? Looking for roomy accomodations, on the beach, an awesome beach, a hugggggeee pool and good food. Have read reviews on Morritts, Reef Resort and Westin. Any fellow travelers experienced the USVI and Caymens have some good recommendations??? thanks :o)

Montreal
11 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay in the caymans?

Don’t worry, the 7-mile beach is very nice.

We stayed at the Comfort Suites next to the Marriott. Clean hotel but didn’t really eat at the hotel restaurant. We went downtown every night. The Hotel isn’t on the beach but only a 1 minute walk. And they have beach chairs there for the hotel guests. For a large family, you could probably get a Suite for a decent price.

If you’re willing to pay a bit more, go to the Marriott next door. It is a beachfront property and much nicer than the Comfort Suites with a nice restaurant and larger pool.

Of course the Hyatt is the place to go if your wallet can handle it. Amazing property but $$$.

RI
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay in the caymans?

Hi - we went to GC with four teenagers, and all had a great time.

Have you considered a condo? You'll get a lot more bang for your buck. Plantana has a great location, and I've never heard anyone say anything bad about it. You'll be on 7 mile beach, your beach will be uncrowded; the kids can walk to the Westin, and it's close to shopping areas and not far from Georgetown.

We got a 3bedroom condo for less than a room at the Westin! (not at Plantana, at Cayman Reef closer to town, but Plantana is more upscale and not apt to have cruise ship people walking by all the time,)

We'd have breakfast in, sometimes lunch, and go out for dinner.

The condos are always well-equipped and very comfortable.

I'm hoping to stay at Plantana myself next time.

Go to this website: Cayman Vacations? for detailed info, or just go to Plantana's website. There are other good ones, but this is the one that really stays in my mind.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay in the caymans?

We've stayed at the Hyatt, the Westin, and Aqua Bay Condos-all before Ivan. Loved the condos and it really helps to be able to eat in when you want. Also loved the Westin for the pool and beach. Plantana is right next to the Westin and this is the nicest part of 7-Mile Beach. Cayman doesn't have huge resorts with huge pools like you would see in Cancun and the Mayan Riviera. However, the beaches are fabulous, as is the diving and snorkeling. If price is no object, the Ritz is to be opening--not sure when,it's been going to open for a few years, but is always delayed.

Roswell,GA
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay in the caymans?

Rent a condo. I have been many times and a condo is much better than a hotel. Some good condos are Aqua Bay (only has 2 bedroom units),Avalon, Plantana, Villas of the Galleon, Georgetown Villas, Grandview, Discovery Point. The condos are cheaper than a hotel most of the time unless you get a good deal from a tour group and you get a kitchen so you save money on breakfast and lunch by eating there and can have nice dinners out. Rent a car from Andy's for about 250.00 a week. Nice restaurants are Calypso Grill in West Bay, Wharf, Lighthouse(in East End),most of the Italian ones are good, Lobster Pot, Senor Frogs, the other Mexican place in a shopping center is good also but I forgot the name, something with the word cantina in it, Eats across from Westin is very good for burgers,etc. if it is open. It was not in Aug. when I went but probably will be in April,the one by the turtle farm is good also but forgot the name. Haven't been to many bad restaurants but the one at Treasure Island was not good,Hookers is the name, I think, Deckers is good also. Take plenty of money, everything is very expensive. Great place to go. Been about 25 times and would live there if I could. Have a good trip.SE

Tennessee
Level Contributor
179 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay in the caymans?

Do listen to these people recommending a condo!!

This is DEFINITELY an island where with or without children & teens along, you DO NOT want just a hotel room and have to eat out EVERY meal!!! You MUST try to get a condo with a kitchen to do breakfast, sandwiches, snacks!!!

Food in groceries and on restaurant menus list prices in Cayman Island currency, which is $1 CI = $1.25 US, so if a meal is $25 CI, that's $31.25 US!!

We found a wonderful condo where we stayed twice, but Hurricane Ivan destroyed it!!! I'll be looking for another, too, next time we go there!!

Rochester, Michigan
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay in the caymans?

You also may want to consider the Regal Beach Club--right next door to the Marriot. They have 2 bedroom units, master with queen bed and 2nd room with twin beds, kitchen living/dining area, 2nd bath and either outdoor patio or screened porch, pool, laundry facilities in unit and full kitchen. They supply beach towels and chairs on the beach, have daily maid service. They suffered VERY minimal damage from Ivan so the grounds are nice. Being next door to the Marriot, is nice because the Marriot has a beach bar and grill--very convienent if you don't feel like going far to grab a bite. Seven Mile Beach is beautiful. The pool is not HUGE but they do have a hot tub also. We always try to stay there, great place, great staff and very relaxing!

MICHIGAN
Level Contributor
85 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to stay in the caymans?

We go every year and I would agree with the posts to try and stay in a condo. With two teens I would try to stay mid-Seven Mile beach. Around the Westin or Ritz. (Both great beaches if you want a hotel!) In the middle of Seven Mile beach the beach is the nicest, there are plenty of restaurants to walk to and some shops. The Marriott frequently has little to no beach at that time of year because of the way the storms blow in. The Hyatt is a good option, but most of the rooms are across the road from the beach. Morritts and Reef Resort are on the East End of the island and there is NOTHING to do down there except what is offered at the resorts and they are a good 45 minute drive from town. Definately do a Sting Ray City trip.

8. Re: Best place to stay in the caymans?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:10 am, October 22, 2005
George Town, Grand...
Level Contributor
763 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to stay in the caymans?

sam175... you say there is nothing to do in the Eastern Districts ? Well, it is more quiet at our end of the island, no duty free stores, no fast food joints.. but here is a brief list :

- Snorkelling at any one of 10s of sites where you will likely be the only person you see on the beach.

- Deep Sea Fishing

- Snorkel trips (not just Stingray City, although that is available)

- Hiking

- Botanic Park

- Pedro Castle

- Cycling on quiet roads

- Oceanfront restaurants : Lighthouse, Portofino, Castro's Hideaway, Over The Edge, Kaibo, Rum Point

If you want lots of conventional US style things to do, then 7MB is the place for you (and I agree, the majority of guests do prefer that, at least for their first visit to Cayman), but the Eastern Districts offer variety, plus peace and quiet and a truly relaxed and genuine Caymanian warm welcome.

Just defending the place I know and love the best :)

MICHIGAN
Level Contributor
85 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to stay in the caymans?

TomCayman-I know and LOVE all those places (especially Rum Point on a quiet day!). But when I take my teenagers, they like the activity level of 7 Mile Beach. No offense meant! =)

Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach