We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer Trip to Grand Cayman

New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Summer Trip to Grand Cayman

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip this summer. We're seriously considering Grand Cayman because of the wonderful things we've heard. We're in our late 20s and looking for both a romantic, relaxing getaway and the ability to get out and enjoy different activities. We're on a budget and don't want to spend more than $2,600-$2,800 total on our vacation. Is this achievable at one of the nicer resorts on 7-mile beach? Based on my research to date, 7-mile beach seems like the best place to stay. Would you agree? Also, are we better off with a package deal with or without meals or going for air and hotel separately? We've heard taxis and meals are expensive. Is this the case? Finally, are we taking a tremendous risk with tropical storms or hurricanes going in mid-late July? Any advice you can give is appreciated. Thanks!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer Trip to Grand Cayman

Trust me, there is no real bad time to go to the Caymans. To me 7 mile beach is where it's at. The beach is not only lovely but it's within walking distance to so many good restaurants.

I usually do air and hotel separate but it can't hurt to check out packages. Try classic vacations.

Yes, meals are expensive and so are taxi's, but there is enough restaurants close by that you should only have to take a couple of taxi's.

New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer Trip to Grand Cayman

Thanks, lovethesungal. Any recommendations on hotels given that we're on a budget? I've heard the Westin is great and the property that was formerly the Hyatt as well. Heard mixed bag about the Marriott. Also understand that these resorts can get expensive. Thoughts?

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,387 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer Trip to Grand Cayman

I ran a quick check this afternoon to see if your budget was workable.

I first tried separate airfare and condo. With $400 pp air and $200+ per night for a condo, not much left for food.

Then I tried expedia.com to see if that would work. I'm not sure you will be able to stay directly on the beach in one of the resorts, but the most reasonable one I found was the Courtyard Marriott which was $1800+ for air and hotel.

Not sure that even if you give up the dream of SMB you will be able to stay under budget.

Sorry. But keep trying. Hope someone else can offer better suggestions.

New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer Trip to Grand Cayman

Thanks for the effort. We may have to decide whether this is really want we want to do and if that's the case, budget some more money into the trip. You only live once, right? And from what I hear GC is worth it. Thanks!

5. Re: Summer Trip to Grand Cayman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, September 26, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach