We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

very frustrated.. need help..

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
117 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
very frustrated.. need help..

looking for a vacation in january... i have looked in jamaica, dominican republic, etc.. etc... i looked on cheapcaribbean.com and found a deal for the beach colony club all inclusive for about 1600. now from the reviews i have read that doesn't seem to be a popular choice. i saw the courtyard by marriot is in my price range...but i am worried about food charges making it impossible for me to book there...what i wanted to ask you guys is...

1, should i book that deal with cheapcaribbean... or do you think i can do better booking the marriot and finding restaurants around??? Please i have been to other caribbean places but my girlfriend has never been.. so i kinda want her to see the perfect water and sand...

but i am getting tired of looking at these places.. and i am just fed up...

i have fallen for the pics that i have seen so far...

please help

desperate dave

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: very frustrated.. need help..

In the last 9 years I booked and went on 24 trips anywhere from mid range to very upscale Caribbean, Europe, or Africa.

If you want Aruba, or any other island, research it well, I was ALWAYS able to get a better deal than Expedia, Orbtz, or Hotels.com

Thats all I was trying to say.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: very frustrated.. need help..

Dave... I have been to Mexico...( Puerto Vallarta, Cancun, Riveria, Cabo San Lucas)...DR...and other places. ( They all cost more and I got sick on the food in the DR) I booked the trip to CI for $1600 ...for Feb. ..staying at the Beach Club Colony. That is for TWO people....airfare, hotel, and food and drinks. I think it is a heck of a deal. Good luck finding anything cheaper. GC is someplace I want to go. Ask yourself...how much time you will spend in the room? Go...and enjoy the island...the quaintness of a small hotel ...just steps away from paradise.... Eat ...drink and be merry....I know.... I am !!!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,506 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: very frustrated.. need help..

The Beach Colony Club is located on a prime spot along SMB, however, during the day, it is completely overrun by cruise visitors. I mean to the extent that you cannot even walk along the water's edge. I have stayed many times at both Lacovia and The Hyatt which flank it on either side. I have previously described it as crumb covered with ants on an otherwise empty space. Yes it has a beautiful beach and as long as you are willing to share it's little piece of SMB with hundreds of others during the day, it is a great deal. When we stay at Lacovia we take a dive boat that comes into the Hyatt beach; we have to walk all the way in the water when returning at 3:30 to go back to Lacovia. It is noisy, littered with cups etc until the day visitors leave. They do a lovely job cleaning up and the late afternoon/evening it is empy. After many trips (maybe 30/35, different times of the year), it is always the same. Before you take the plunge, keep it in mind.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,372 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: very frustrated.. need help..

Exactly as just posted, Beach Club Colony in located on a very nice area of central SMB, but from 9-3 totally overrun with cruise ship day trippers & you will can expect not to have an inch of space on the sand or in the water. Unless you are willing to spend time away from the Beach Club Colony most of the daytime hours you are there, perhaps not the best choice.

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,704 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: very frustrated.. need help..

I have found the best deals on cheapcaribbean.com.......but I also book about 8 weeks prior to arrival. My last trip to GC, I saved over $2,000 from what I was originally looking at on their own site. I grabbed it quick............2 days later the price was back up. They run specials and you have to get them when you can.

We stayed at Spanish Bay which was Beach Club's sister resort. We visited Beach club and there were no cruisers there.......the beach was nice.........the food was good and we had a great time. Cruise ships days, we toured the island........not the place where the cruisers go. Georgetown is packed with cruisers.......it was a shopping day from H- - -!

Sorry you will not get to experience GC, but if you're going on a budget Beach Club would have, IMHO, been the place to stay.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: very frustrated.. need help..

We use vrbo.com

There are lovely condos and villas all over the world...we've travelled a couple of times to GC and used vrbo. You typically book directly with the owner and is a nice option to the hustle and bustle of a big hotel. We just returned from 7 days in GC and stayed at Northern Lights Condo in Old Man Bay on the North Side. It was 7 miles to Rum Point. Two bed, two 1/2 bath with full kitchen, laundry, pool, beach and two huge screened lanais...for $1399.

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,234 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: very frustrated.. need help..

You might want to try kayak.com. It'll give you price info for several sites at the same time once you put in the dates and location. It was recommended by The Today Show travel reporter.

January is high season in the Caribbean so you're going to pay top dollar where ever you go. As a lot of posters suggested once you have an internet price contact the resort directly as they often do run specials depending on space availability.

Hang in there Dave, the right place at the right place is on the horizon!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: very frustrated.. need help..

Check the DR forum because Ive read they sustained alot of damage from the last hurricane.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: very frustrated.. need help..

I would avoid the BCC because of the cruisers. That also isn't the best part of Seven Mile Beach. The beach in front of the Westin is the absolute best. If you are a Starwood member, you can get a 50% discount off the nightly rate at the Westin for your entire stay for only 1,000 points. This is a huge savings--you can book a standard room for about $150 a night. We did this on our last trip to Cayman.

However, be prepared, as the cost of food in Cayman is very high. Most menus are in CI dollars, which are only worth 4>80 to the US$.

I truly love Cayman, but you have to be realistic about the costs there. We've gone to Playa del Carmen and Playacar in Mexico on years we couldn't afford Cayman and enjoyed those just as much. If you want an AI, Mexico's the place to go. Check out the Riu Palace Mexico in Playacar. It's on a gorgeous beach, has very good food, and great rooms.

Depending on where you live, it's sometimes better to book on your own. I always book directly with the hotels, and have total control over cancellation without penalties. Same with airfare. I've never found a better deal on Orbitz, etc., than I could get by booking directly with the hotel.

George Town, Grand...
Level Contributor
763 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: very frustrated.. need help..

For a January vacation, I can tell you that industry wide early bookings sales are on now.... different destinations vary, but for Cayman at least, January is a fair bit slower than Feb/Mar.

Put it this way, I'd book now for January, it won't get cheaper.... but if you were looking for Feb/Mar, definitely book now, but for a different reason... wait any longer, and you may find your choices sold out.

Oh, I note now that the OP was looking for AI....I guess that has been covered by addressing the one AI left in Cayman (and that will close after high season to be demolished for yet another Miami Beach style multi-story tower..sigh).

Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach