We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Caymans right for college teens and Mom?

california
Level Contributor
167 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Is the Caymans right for college teens and Mom?

I'm thinking of taking my kids on vacation to the Caymans. Are there older teens there and enough to do for them? Also a recommendation for a hotel...Mom is a hotel "snot". (since I end up being there alot) Any advice you can offer is appreciated...

thanks so much

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the Caymans right for college teens and Mom?

It really depends on what you like to do. My kids (teens) dive. We also always brought a friend each. They dove in the mornings and hung out in the afternoon. I never worried about letting them out at night because the island is so safe. However, when my son was old enough for spring break, they choose Mexico and other islands. Younger, cheaper, more night life. Cayman is safe, fantastic food, great marine life. It truly depends on what your family likes. If you are a real hotel snot wait until the Mandarin Oriental opens in a few years, otherwise, the biggest, newest hotel on the island is the Ritz Carlton. Good luck.

Kissimmee Florida
Destination Expert
for Kissimmee
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the Caymans right for college teens and Mom?

phoenix100,

You might consider signing them up for a dive certification class. There is something satisfying about knowing that you are PADI certified. That will certainly keep them busy! You might wish to check to see if they can do their classroom work at home and their diving on the island.

As to where to stay, there are lots of wonderful places. We all have our favorites.

Enjoy!

CTR

california
Level Contributor
167 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the Caymans right for college teens and Mom?

thank you so much for your suggestions. We'll look into both hotels.

Is there any other sight seeing and things to do besides diving?

Middleville...
Level Contributor
353 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the Caymans right for college teens and Mom?

Teenagers eat a lot! I would personally check into a Condo (Christopher Columbus being my fav.) That way you can cook breakfast, lunch and snacks in house as save some money.

These condos are as nicely appointed as any hotel, they have pools and great beaches plus 6 day a week house keeping.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
366 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the Caymans right for college teens and Mom?

I would definately stay at 7 Mile Beach and in a condo where you can cook a majority of your meals. Most places have grills available, so it can be fun to cook out and not have to 'dress' for dinner nightly. There is much more nightlife at 7MB than on the East End.

My teens (17 & 18) loved it when we dropped them off at the public beach and they played volleyball for 3 hours. They met lots of other kids who were college students there and had a great time.

6. Re: Is the Caymans right for college teens and Mom?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, September 03, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach