We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for mom, dad, and 1 year old in October

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for mom, dad, and 1 year old in October

Topic says it all - anyone care to give advice as to where to stay? My wife and I love the Caribbean, and she's never been to Grand Cayman. Our daughter will be 13-14 months in October '07, so we'd like any pointers from families in a similar situation.

Where to stay? Although my wife and I like snorkeling, we will most likely be lying around under an umbrella with our daughter most of the time. Someplace with quiet, clean beaches.

What to do? (first-time parents, don't have any idea what would be best for a 1 year old)

What to avoid? (probably the most important!)

Thanks!

George Town, Grand...
Level Contributor
763 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for mom, dad, and 1 year old in October

I'd definitely advise renting a one bedroom condo (not a hotel room) so a) you have a kitchen, and b) you have a separate bedroom to put your little one down for a nap and to bed in the evening.

Also try to stay somewhere where you can request a ground floor unit that walks right out on the beach, plus has shade available.

The good news is that Cayman has numerous such options, both condos on Seven Mile Beach and also condos and villas in other areas of Grand Cayman.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,637 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for mom, dad, and 1 year old in October

The condo route makes a lot of sense. If you need to save some $$ you can try and bid on Priceline for a 4 star hotel. I just did this in October and for $80 per night got the Marriott. Not a condo but at this price it might be worthwhile.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for mom, dad, and 1 year old in October

My biggest advice is stay somewhere where you can at least get a babysitter a couple of nights a week so you and your wife can enjoy some good alone time. You'll love Cayman and the baby will be fine wherever you stay.

Have a great time on that wonderful beach!!

NJ
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for mom, dad, and 1 year old in October

The condos at the Regal Beach Club are very nice. I have stayed there several times and all of the condos are nice. They are beach front and within walking distance to shops and restaurants. Also the Marriot is right next door and has an outdoor restaurant.

I haven't been there since Nov 05 but I can't imagine it has changed much since then.

Hope this helps

Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for mom, dad, and 1 year old in October

The staff at Regal Beach Club are very accomodating, and its a good mid-SMB location. Also close to Smyles, playground and child care.

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
270 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for mom, dad, and 1 year old in October

We have traveled with our little ones for quite a few years now. When my youngest was 4 months old, we switched from hotel rooms to a condo. That made ALL the difference. We have always requested a ground floor unit, either oceanfront or pool view. When it was nap time, we could still enjoy our vacation. We would play cards, sun bathe, or people watch on our patio. Back when we stayed in hotels, it seemed as though 1/2 of our day was sitting inside trying to get one of the kids to take a nap. As the kids got older, they would choose to go "in" and play for awhile when the sun got hot.

We have stayed many times at Treasure Island Condos, once at the Reef Resort, and once at Discovery Point Club. All were very nice.......it just depends which location is right for you. If you want more info on any of those places, let me know.

In case youre interested, there is a company that rents real cribs(not pack and plays) and high chairs and other baby things. My sister-in-law has used them a couple of times.

The only thing I can think of to avoid would be the mosquitos or no-seeums which come out at dusk. Bring bug spray. On some trips we have had problems with them and other times we havent noticed them.

Grand Cayman is perfect for families in my opinion. It is clean and safe. You can find anything at the grocery stores. The restaurants are great ,and we have always brought our kids with us. Have fun!!!!!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
420 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for mom, dad, and 1 year old in October

Read my trip report from today 4/4/407

8. Re: Advice for mom, dad, and 1 year old in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, August 29, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach