We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More ???'s about transportation

Buchanan Dam, Tx
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
More ???'s about transportation

I am still unclear of taking the bus versus a cab. My understanding is both are mini vans the difference is the buses have fixed routes and charge per person. Are there bus stops close to the cruise pier or do you have to go into town to the terminal? Are there bus stops along the way that you can get on and off as you please and explore the Island? What about the cabs, is the rate the same no matter how many people are in the cab so you split it and get a better deal or do they charge extra for additional riders? ( wasn't sure about that responce in my last post) I am thinking of maybe starting the day going to the east end stay a couple hours then go to lunch at the Royal Palms ( thanks everyone for the recommendation) hang there for several hours then heading to the Edan rock before we take off. Am I planning too much. Are there any must see and do for great snorkeling? How many pasengers do these vans seat? If all 10 of us wanted to do the same thing would it be feasible to grab 2 cabs and explore the Island? What kind of $$ are we talking for that? Thanks for any and all replys!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,579 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: More ???'s about transportation

There is bus service that made up of large vans. They run in and out of Georgetown regularly -- many people use them to get to work. I don't know it is feasible to expect that one could pick up 10 passengers at a bus stop if the bus is crowded. The most we have in a taxi is four. We didn't get charged more for four than we did for one or two. I don't know if there is a "crowd charge". For instance I do know that in many restaurants tip is not included for less than six people, but is added for more, as servers often get stiffed. Especially as you have a limited time, I would not try to do multiple venues with ten people on a bus. Splitting the group is probably your best (only) option. Also the 'bus' vans are much larger than the taxi vans. Hope this helps.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,447 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: More ???'s about transportation

You probably will not have enough time for all you are planning to do. It takes more time than you might think to get to the East End from Georgetown...as long as an hour each way.

Lunch and beach time at Royal Palms is a good idea...know that everyone operates on "island time" so expect to spend a while on lunch. You won't have "several hours" there even if you have no glitches going out to the East End and back.

Do not count on being able to use public bus service to get to and from East End. If you want to go there your group should hire a couple of cabs, but unless you make a special arrangement for the drivers to bring you back to Georgetown when you want to go, there could be a problem getting back.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: More ???'s about transportation

This is our first time to the island, so I have a few questions. Can we take the bus from the airport to the Plantation Village Condos? We are debating on just renting a car for the week or cabbing it everywhere. Any advice is apprecitated.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,447 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: More ???'s about transportation

I do not believe the public bus runs from the airport.

To take a cab go to the ground transportation desk as you exit the terminal where they get you a cab. It's not a long distance from the airport to Plantation Village...cost might be $15-$20.

You might want to rent a car for 2-3 days while you are on the island so you can see various areas & have dinner at some of the many restaurants not within easy walking distance or inexpensive cab rides from Plantation.

Andy's has a car rental office not far from Plantation Village in addition to their main one at the airport & Avis has a rental office at the Marriott ...also not far from Plantation.

Buchanan Dam, Tx
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: More ???'s about transportation

Okay I think I get it now. We will just cab it to Royal Palms. The port times are 7-4 so would we actually be better walking to Edan Rock and snorkling first then going to Royal Palms?

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,447 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: More ???'s about transportation

yes, that would work well, be relaxing, and not incur huge pricetag, worry, hassles!

btw, there are a few horseback riding options on Grand Cayman. One is called "Pampered Ponies" which I have not done, but looks interesting. There are a couple others but I don't know the names of them...you can probably find out by doing a web search for horse back riding grand cayman.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: More ???'s about transportation

Thanks lovecayman, your recommendations sound very reasonable. I think we'll do that.

8. Re: More ???'s about transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, August 21, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach