We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

Day trip...snorkeling

Which George Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hyannis...
Level Contributor
113 posts
7 reviews
Day trip...snorkeling

We will be on a cruise, in GC for the day. We would like to do some snorkeling and then go somewhere for lunch. We are thinking of either cemetery beach or sunset house. We have our own gear. Thoughts?

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
8,882 posts
54 reviews
1. Re: Day trip...snorkeling

Sunset is a great place for lunch and I think perhaps better for scuba unless you are proficient enough to dive down and blast clear your snorkel etc. It is deeper than Cemetery Beach. No reason why you can fit in both to be honest. Hit Cemetery first and then go to My Bar at Sunset House for lunch . . . you can pop right down the steps and into the water to get in a second hit before you get back on the ship!!!

Hyannis...
Level Contributor
113 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Day trip...snorkeling

OK...thanks for the info!

Level Contributor
35 posts
3. Re: Day trip...snorkeling

H shore dove at Sunset House and we snorkeled at Cemetery Beach twice. It was nice to walk into the water and swim out to the reef. I guess it depends on what you want and your comfort level but we really liked Cemetery Beach.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,642 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Day trip...snorkeling

You could take a cab to Macabuca in West Bay, or walk to Rackam's on the waterfront in George Town. You can eat and snorkel at both restaurants and it would be much more time efficient than trying to travel to different spots. Staff at Macabuca would be able to call a cab for your return to the ship, a public bus transportation is another option.

Be sure to have a waterproof pouch for your cash, cards etc. to keep them with you. If you use a cab, they only take cash, US dollars are accepted.

I don't know if you need exact change for the bus, I have not taken one in many years.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,225 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: Day trip...snorkeling

From Cemetery Beach (better snorkeling area IMO), you can also walk further north to Al Fresco's for lunch (~1/2 mile) for a lunch option.

atlanta
Level Contributor
183 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: Day trip...snorkeling

walk from cruise ship to bus terminal $5 fare US for 2 people, yellow or lime green line goes to cemetary beach, no facilities at cementary but nice beach and good snorkeling. Or you could walk south of cruise terminal to Paradise Bar and snorkel eden rock and then eat/drink there it is within sight of ships and close to the tourist shops. Or you can walk north to Cayman Cabana or Rackums which both have ladders, (cayman Cabana has lockers for rent) a dive shop in between the 2 has a dock with a ladder you can use to access the cove between the 2 resteraunts...main attraction is the wreck of the cali. All 3 bar/resteraunts near the cruise terminal have large tarpon to see...dont worry, they aren't bitey like baracudda.

I would consider how long you have, as it takes a lot less time to go to the places nearby. The tradeoff is that these spots will likely be more crowded with other passengers. IMO Eden rock out in front of Paradise Bar was the best snorkel site of the bunch mentioned. Have fun.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
196 posts
16 reviews
7. Re: Day trip...snorkeling

We spend a lot of time at Eden Rock when we are there, and we have a car and 4 or 5 days to fill (i.e. no limitations on our choices)! Given the proximity to the terminal, that's what I'd recommend. We've really enjoyed ourselves each time we've gone out there. And there are plenty of restaurants close-by. Wherever you end up, have fun!

Winter Garden...
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
8. Re: Day trip...snorkeling

Visiting the Marine Park at Paradise Snorkel is a must. . If you are cruising just exit the dock and turn right. Walk about 3 blocks until you see the first snorkel shop, Paradise Snorkeling. For only $15 you can rent snorkeling gear and a locker. Walk down the steps into the Marine park and see huge tarpons swimming. Just continue out into the water and there are tons of coral and fish. Just go out near the markets. Very swimmable and no current. There is also a large yellow trampoline in the water to play on. You can easily spot this and the green roof of the dive center from your tender. For the money you can also use the beach chairs and lockers for the day. You can shower off and come and go as many times as you like. Moses is a delightful person and he will greet you with a smile. There is also a restaurant there with open ocean front dining. The food was good and so was the server, but I was shocked when I had to pay a double gratuity - one United States and one Grand Cayman. It's such an expensive day and many excursions pull up right outside this area and they are paying at least $80 each. If you are in Grand Cayman, BE SURE to snorkel here.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
8,882 posts
54 reviews
9. Re: Day trip...snorkeling

Cnorth -- what do you mean you had to pay double gratuity .... I have never ever heard of such a thing. US is accepted everywhere and prices are given in both US and CI. I think perhaps there was a very big misunderstanding

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
10. Re: Day trip...snorkeling

Retrip,

I was confused about the "double gratuity - one United States and one Grand Cayman" comment also. I am wondering if the OP was not aware of the USD/KD exchange rate and/or that "bills" are in Cayman dollars? If this was the case, he may have assumed that the difference between the amount on the ticket and the change he received (if he paid with cash) or the amount on the Credit Card ticket was an additional gratuity.

CNorth,

Glad you had such an enjoyable time snorkeling at Eden Rock. It is one of my favorite "deeper water" snorkel area.

Edited: 3:21 pm, June 17, 2013
Get answers to your questions about George Town