We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental?

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
car rental?

Everyone has mentioned that Andy's provides the best rate? What am I missing? Everything I look at online indicates that budget has the best rate? is this OK, or have they closed shop like Hertz?

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental?

I shop around for rates and usually go with the best price for my specific dates and car of choice. I rarely end up renting with Andy's.

I certainly am surprised to learn that everyone has mentioned Andy's as always providing the lowest rates. :)

BTW, Hertz has re-opened at GCM.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental?

We use CICO Avis. I don't know if their rate is the best but, after dealing with substandard cars from another agency in Grand Cayman, we rent where we know through experience that the cars are reliable and in good repair.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,671 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental?

We follow Testudo's plan - rent from the lowest price for when we need it. I try to reserve as soon as our dates are firm and then keep checking back to see if possibly another firm is running a special, etc. You can always cancel you original reservation if you get a better deal. Just keep in mind that cars in any class in GC are usually smaller than the cars in the same class in the US. Also, the rental firms keep the cars much longer so don't count on having a car that's a current model year. Sometimes you get a new (or newer) one, many times you don't. Never had a problem with any of the cars we have rented and we've used several different firms, including both Budget and Andy's.

West Saint Paul...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental?

My family has been using Coconut Car Rentals for probably 10+ years now.

They offer a 20% discount for all repeat customers. I haven't shopped around much, but with the discount it seems like a pretty good rate. :-)

Grand Cayman...
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
618 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental?

Just thought I'd mention ... If Budget has the best rate, go for it! "No problem." The Budget franchise in Cayman is very much still in operation. I believe it's owned by the same group that owns the Ford franchise on the island, so they bring in good quality cars.

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental?

thank you for your recommendations.

Grand Cayman
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental?

Hertz has now re-opened and has all new 2012 cars

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
12 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental?

I have always rented from andy's as they also give an alumni discount.We have had some well used cars while there - when you arrive, ask for the newest one available.

USA
Level Contributor
7 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental?

Is renting a car recommended? I'd probably only use a car for exploring the West End and maybe to get around to Rum Point. Are there ways of exploring areas without renting a car? Let's say I planned on visiting the West End for an activity that lasted a few hours. How feasible is it to get around without a car and without a phone to call a taxi?

Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car rental?

I am car rental shopping myself for spring break. We rented from Andy's last year but had an old model full size car that was not in very good condition. The forum reviews at that time were great and with very short notice on our trip planning, I just went with Andy's without checking around. My teenagers still give me such a hard time about that car that when we recently traveled to Alaska I went for the large SUV. Everyone was happy. I know that I should make a better choice next time in GCM. Testudo, is the new Hertz location near Andy's? It was an easy location. Their pricing seems similar to Budget but I should earn a discount through AAA. Want to try a right hand drive this time so will have to call Hertz for details not listed on the website.

Edited: 6:39 pm, July 26, 2012