We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling with 87 yr old father

Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
traveling with 87 yr old father

on a cruise and spending day here--what can we do with 87 yr old father--

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,974 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling with 87 yr old father

Does your 87 year old father have any physical limitations that responders should take into consideration?

If not, I would recommend a trip to Sting Ray City Sand Bar. If he does have some limitations, you can take an excursion to Rum Point and take a glass bottom boat tour to the site from there (can still view all the action without getting off the boat).

Mentioned in this post
Rum Point
Rum Point
2,449 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,465 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling with 87 yr old father

Testudo's idea is great. My dad (87 now), did STC a couple of years ago. My mom wanted the glass bottom boat (best for her the other guests and the rays -- would have probably been hiliarious to have seen her in the water however). Anyway, he loved it, but he is very active and propbably would have preferred to be in the water. II would just avoid the big big boats that cater to day visitors. You sit in like a sardine and I am not sure what if any shade/facilities there are. Look into companies like Capt. Marvin, Red Sail any of those constantly mentioned and you cannot go wrong. How lovely that your dad is still traveling. I know my parents miss their holidaiys and treasure all the wonderful memories they have collected. Have a wonderful trip!

Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling with 87 yr old father

my father has no physical limitations--actually quite fit--does not swim!!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling with 87 yr old father

I think that one excursion that is often 'forgotten' is the Butterfly Farm. It's such a unique, beautiful experience. You can see them 'hatching', and see them 'drying' their new wings. If you go early in the a.m. when it's cooler, they're alot more active and float all around you. Watching them chase each other in what seems to be 'play' really is magical. I just visited the Butterfly House last week at the Bronx Zoo. The visits in Cayman beat it hands down!

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,974 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: traveling with 87 yr old father

Unfortunately, the Butterfly Farm closed last year. It may have re-opened, but I have not heard.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: traveling with 87 yr old father

Uhhhh....I was just there last year! Oh well, my apologies - I didn't know! At least I got some great pics that trip.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,157 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: traveling with 87 yr old father

Your Dad doesn't need to be a swimmer to visit Stingray City. The water is knee deep, just be sure someone is close to "steady" him. The stingrays can gently "push" you and they are heavy. It really is a fun thing to do and you can get some terrific pictures of him in that turquoise water.

Mentioned in this post
Stingray City
Stingray City
5,948 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
370 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: traveling with 87 yr old father

You might also consider the submarine tour. That is supposed to be pretty good.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,157 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: traveling with 87 yr old father

We skipped the sub since we snorkel/dive. Two of our Family Members did go on the sub and were very disappointed. Said there was very little to see.

10. Re: traveling with 87 yr old father

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 am, October 19, 2010