We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wheelchair accessibility

Which George Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Centerville, Ohio...
2 posts
Save Topic
Wheelchair accessibility

We will be visiting George Town over Christmas with our 14 yr old son who is in a power wheelchair. Can anyone share any advise on getting around and if the beach wheeled wheelchair is available for rental anywhere on the island?

Thank you for any information you care to share.

Ohioians, USA

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,438 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wheelchair accessibility

I cannot help you about the rental of the beach wheel chair. However, my daughter works with a group that certifies disabled kids to dive which uses Grand Cayman because of the user friendliness of the overall conditions. The kids in chairs are carried once they hit the sand to and from the dive boat. The beaches are not massively wide and it is not an issue. Check out some wonderful photos at Stay-focused.org. Have a lovely trip!

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wheelchair accessibility

Hi Ohioians

We are headed to GCM in October and my sister is in a wheelchair. We have tired desperately to find a beach wheelchair to rent and have had no luck.

emptysuitcases.com had a pic of a beach wheelchair for rent with a caption that said "coming soon" - I emailed the guy and he said it wouldn't be here in time for our trip and he had no idea when it would come. Lately, I haven't even been able to access their website. But I'm going to keep trying.

I've called Redsail about going on a snorkling/singray city trip. We are staying near rum point and will get the boat there. The Redsail rep told me that the dock at Rum Point is pretty long and the boat waits at the end. If we could get her and her wheelchair in the boat (only up a few steps) then she would be more than welcome. They seemed very accommodating.

Good luck. Please be sure to let us know if you have any luck with the beach chair!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,438 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wheelchair accessibility

Red Sail actually provides a boat for Stay-focused to use when the kids are on the island. Also one of their boat captains in addition to handling the boat, has been teaching the participants for years. The first dive the groups do as certified divers is Stingray City -- Red Sail is a great option for you to look into. Best wishes on a great trip!

4. Re: Wheelchair accessibility

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, October 02, 2009