We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Grand Cayman
Search

Barefoot Beach

South Hadley...
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
26 helpful votes
Barefoot Beach

I just returned from an awesome trip in Grand Cayman. I was exploring an area called Barefoot Beach on the East End of the island and noticed a pontoon like raft with oil drums and a primitive mast floating at the shore. There were a pair of jeans, sweatpants, and a shirt washed up on the sand along with a child's sandal. I was wondering if anyone else has been to Barefoot Beach recently and noticed the same. I've been reading alot about the mass exodus out of Cuba in the mid 1990s and the boats that were turned away at Grand Cayman. I saw a few YouTube videos documenting the sheer ingenuity and perserverence of the Cubans who were fleeing their country for a chance at a better life. Most of them were in fishing boats or at least a boat with a motor. It is unlikely that anyone would have survived a journey from Cuba to G.C. in a raft.

I also noticed a property adjacent to Barefoot Beach called Barefoot Beach Gardens. The property looked abandoned. There was a small house with a cot inside. There were also iron gates blocking entry with a vehicle, overgrown trees and bushes, and a very friendly dog without a collar or tags wandering the premises.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
12,043 posts
81 reviews
61 helpful votes
1. Re: Barefoot Beach

Did you contact the authorities?

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for East End, Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
18 reviews
18 helpful votes
2. Re: Barefoot Beach

The raft was there two weeks ago and was falling apart then. It looked like it had been there for quite some time.

3. Re: Barefoot Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11:47 pm, July 16, 2015
North Richland...
Level Contributor
788 posts
9 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Barefoot Beach

I have been to barefoot beach before and seen it completely covered in trash. Someone told me that when the wind is coming toward the beach that it brings trash - mostly from Cuba. It occasionally gets cleaned and can look very nice, but over time it trashes again. At least, that's what a local told me.

Colorado
Level Contributor
5,182 posts
209 reviews
107 helpful votes
5. Re: Barefoot Beach

The mostly plastic trash comes in from all over, although the bulk of it is local trash. What isn't local is blown in by the trade winds from the eastern Caribbean and the Caribbean Sea currents bring stuff in from the Atlantic, eastern Caribbean and South America. Anyone that told you that trash blows in from one specific place is simply making stuff up and the conditions needed to move trash Southward in the Caribbean are rare. If you want to see how trash accumulates, go to Barkers and see all the flip flops and plastic bottles that go overboard on SRC tours. All that tourist trash washes up on the beaches and mangroves west of SRC.

The raft sounds like a cool find to me and as a child my vivid imagination also led me to also conjure up fantastical stories about things that washed up. If the raft has been there for weeks then I'm sure many local kids and teens have been using it for their own adventures. As far as the property next door, Ivan destroyed what was left of it and the shack is likely the occasional home of a local crack head.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
7,559 posts
24 reviews
19 helpful votes
6. Re: Barefoot Beach

After having conducted an in-depth study of the labeling on the trash that has washed ashore at Barefoot Beach, I can assure you the bulk of it appears to have originated from Hispaniola.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
7. Re: Barefoot Beach

This video about plastic wastes in the oceans is on the Weather Channel site:

weather.com/series/uncharted/video/you-cant-…

md
Level Contributor
78 posts
8. Re: Barefoot Beach

We also tried to venture to this beach but after walking down and seeing the rusty oil drums and "raft" remains we changed our mind. There was a lot to trash and we have 2 younger kids so it just didn't feel like a great place for them to play and hang out. We will definitely try again next time.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
9. Re: Barefoot Beach

A property developer has just acquired Barefoot Beach

compasscayman.com/caycompass/…

Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
5 helpful votes
10. Re: Barefoot Beach

We visited Barefoot Beach earlier this month. Not a ton of trash when we were there but it wasn't really clean and you couldn't go barefoot. The raft was still there along with a lot of conch shells.

Edited: 10:29 am, August 20, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman