We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

StingRay City, Snorkel tour from Northside/Rum Point

Clemson, South...
Level Contributor
230 posts
315 reviews
Save Topic
StingRay City, Snorkel tour from Northside/Rum Point

Our group of 6 adults and one 9 year old will be staying at Rum Point for 5 days starting January 6, 2014, and would like to take a tour to Stingray City. Are there any operators that depart from or pick up at the Rum Point area other than the Red Sails place? Looks like the Red Sails cost is around $80 per person which seems a bit high and have seen some not so good reviews of it. When is the best time to go to avoid crowds? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, NPH

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: StingRay City, Snorkel tour from Northside/Rum Point

In the past the price from Rum Point was about $40. we had a good time when we went.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: StingRay City, Snorkel tour from Northside/Rum Point

Ah...I just checked Red sail's website, and the $80 trip is when you leave from the other side of the island. the one that leaves from Rum Point is the glass bottom boat. They raised their prices. It's $50 now

redsailcayman.com/redsailcayman-activity-gla…

Edited: 7:23 pm, November 13, 2013
chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: StingRay City, Snorkel tour from Northside/Rum Point

I also see that they do have an $80 catamaran trip from Rum Point. That does seem a little pricey

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: StingRay City, Snorkel tour from Northside/Rum Point

Ocean frontiers has a stingray trip that leaves from kaibo,, which is only a mile from Rum Point

oceanfrontiers.com/dive-boat-trips/stingray.…

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,660 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: StingRay City, Snorkel tour from Northside/Rum Point

Red Sail has many options including the boat that goes to Stingray City (the dive site 12 to 15ft) for both divers and snorkelers which picks up at Rum Point. They have many different options. The $80 price option includes paying to sail around on a beautiful cat with head, shade and all the amenities including a bar (which many might not care about including myself) but to many sailing back with a tropical drink in hand and having that experience instead of just scooting in and out with one other quick stop adds to their enjoyment. For them it is worth the extra money for the extra services provided. However, the company does have several other options. In general you will find that the more services provided on the boat and things like having a head, shade, refreshments, etc., will affect the cost. You will have it to yourself if you do one of the dawn trips and if you do it privately (might make sense for your group to see if you can get a good rate for 7 people). You might look at a group like Charter Cayman 345 923 4266 who have two boats and work with guests schedules rather than a preorganized trip (if you book for 2 hours it is cheaper than 3 hours). They also were leaving as other boats arrived -- my daughter who has been to STR many times loved them. That said you will have the most options if you go from the west side of the island (Safehaven etc) as there are many bigger boats which can keep costs down by having more guests. There are always less people at Stingray City rather than the Sandbar and all the boats pretty much come and go at the same times, although many cruise visitors have to be heading back to the ships in the afternoon so that might work better. One of my best trips ever recently was Red Sail Sports, we arrived and were leaving just as the other boats were getting there . . . it was awesome. I was not on the cat. And there are some who say the rays are not as hungry in the afternoons -- that is rubbish -- the rays are designed to eat as long as there is food. Have a great time!

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,514 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: StingRay City, Snorkel tour from Northside/Rum Point

It's definitely important to know whether you want to go to Stingray City (the dive/snorkel site) or Stingray Sandbar (or just the "Sandbar") where the water is knee deep - no snorkelling.

The only people that get to interact directly with the Stingrays at Stingray City are the divers - snorkellers tend to be observers, based on what I have seen. Obviously at the Sandbar, everyone gets to touch them....

So make sure you know what you are asking for...

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,660 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: StingRay City, Snorkel tour from Northside/Rum Point

We have gone to the Stingray City lots of times with a mixed group (snorkelers and divers) and depending on the proficiency of the snorkelers they were able to interact with the rays and moray eels etc. In fact for some who are not afraid to dive down and not just float on the surface the interaction might even be greater. Personally I like it for kids who are comfortable in the water and too short to stand at the Sandbar. Totally agree with TB that you should figure out what best suits your group, but I wouldn't throw out an opportunity to go to STR just because you are not certified divers . . . My family (been going since my daughter was a toddler) never even went to the Sandbar until a few years ago. Really depends on comfort levels and to me they are both great albeit different experiences!

Clemson, South...
Level Contributor
230 posts
315 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: StingRay City, Snorkel tour from Northside/Rum Point

Thanks to all for the helpful advice. Shelly - I may check with ocean frontiers and see if our group of 7 would be permitted since one of the seven is a 9 YO grand daughter. Their site says groups are limited to 6 plus 1 crew, if I read it right. Also, we might even try the red sails $80 trip since it does seem to have a lot more amenities. At my age, a head would be a definite advantage and the bar sounds pretty good as well - but it is pricey so maybe the $50 glass bottom boat would be best. A trip to both the sandbar and the city for snorkeling sounds like the best deal as well. Do you know if the glass bottom boat option goes to both?? Obviously several options are available. Also, how far in advance should we make reservations?

Thanks again to all.

NPH

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: StingRay City, Snorkel tour from Northside/Rum Point

I have gone on the glass bottom boat trip from Rum Point, and it only went to the Sandbar. It had a head and covered seating.

Clemson, South...
Level Contributor
230 posts
315 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: StingRay City, Snorkel tour from Northside/Rum Point

Thanks to all for the recommendations. Our trip is just a couple of weeks away now and we are looking forward to it. We have reserved a tour with "Captain Charlie" who seemed the most reasonable operator that would pick us up at Rum Point. Most of the reviews for him were good so I hope we won't be disappointed. Thanks again for the help!

NPH