We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turks and Caicos or Grand Caymen (7 mile beach)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
187 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Turks and Caicos or Grand Caymen (7 mile beach)

We've been to Aruba and Jamaica before and in June went to Turks and Caicos. We L.O.V.E.D

it. We are looking to travel again in January. We'd like to go back to Provo but are wondering if we should go to Cayman (7 mile beach) since we've never been - just to try something new.

I love the idea of seeing a new place, but don't want to be disappointed because we loved the water in Provo - It was SOO clear. My concern is that Cayman won't be as clear and turquoise blue. Anyone go to both places?? Would you say that the water is similar?

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turks and Caicos or Grand Caymen (7 mile beach)

Beautiful water and beach in both places

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,616 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turks and Caicos or Grand Caymen (7 mile beach)

Suggest you use the Search function at the top of the page, entering a keyword such as "Turks" . There have been quite a few posts about comparing the two islands, including some in recent months. Then if you have specific questions, just ask.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
187 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turks and Caicos or Grand Caymen (7 mile beach)

Thanks.... :)

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turks and Caicos or Grand Caymen (7 mile beach)

We've been to both...stayed at The Somerset on T&C back in 2009. We've been to the Cayman Islands dozens of times over the years. The CI water is as good if not better than what we experienced on T&C. You won't be disappointed.

Charles Town, West...
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Turks and Caicos or Grand Caymen (7 mile beach)

Grand cayman would be my choice just got back and it was great snorkeling restaurants shopping better . T C is nice but if your going for the water grand cayman has it beat

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
149 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turks and Caicos or Grand Caymen (7 mile beach)

have been to both. The water is equally as nice. Snorkeling imo is better on Grand Cayman. Cayman has a nice atmosphere. On Provo there are a lot of unfinished resorts and developments- kind of a shabby look.

We stayed on the Northside on Cayman it was wonderful. Very quiet. We are glad we went to Provo but did like Grand Cayman better.

ohio
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Turks and Caicos or Grand Caymen (7 mile beach)

Been to both. If you are staying on 7 mile beach you won't be disappointed. The water is just as beautiful so no worries there. I personally like GC better simply because there is more to do and see. GC is more of a developed island than T&C. I also love Georgetown and I don't believe T&C has much of a downtown.

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turks and Caicos or Grand Caymen (7 mile beach)

I am in GC now - and personally, I don't see anything here that would urge me to return for any reason.

I've been to Grenada, Cancun, Cabo, Belize, Costa Rica, Hawaiian Islands (all majors), French Polynesia, and the Philippines. All of these other locations have a better value IMHO than what GC offers.

GC is flat - its terrain is boring, its wildlife consists of lizards and chickens. The beaches are so so and not that 'amazing' when compared to the other locations I have visited. If snorkeling is what you are after - perhaps this is a low budget option, but French Polynesia is far better

Certainly, its a cleaner country than some of the others that I have visited, but if lazy days on the beach are what you are after, there are better beaches at better prices than GC offers.

That's my 10 cents.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turks and Caicos or Grand Caymen (7 mile beach)

Different people enjoy different types of vacations. I'm going to say it again---if you loved Turks….I'm pretty sure you'll love Cayman too.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,616 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Turks and Caicos or Grand Caymen (7 mile beach)

Everyone is looking for different things in a vacation. If you're looking for scenic beauty and wildlife such as in Costa Rica, parts of Belize (the cayes can be pretty dull scenery wise) or the Hawaiian Islands, then yes GC is not a good choice, nor are other Caribbean islands such as Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao. Many people can not afford nor endure the long treks to places like French Polynesia and the Philippines. As for value, well it all depends on what your budget is. It's not hard to find very pricey accommodations in places like Cabo and Hawaii that cost the same or upwards of GC prices, but perhaps there are more budget options at these locations too.

Bottom line is that I think anyone would be hard pressed to find a vacation destination that is to everyone's liking. Apparently GC is not for Meadowlark but I think it would be a mistake to rule out any destination based solely on other people's opinions. Try it and if you, like Meadowlark, don't like it then it's certainly your right to cross it off your bucket list.