We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

Your opinion of these seven restaurants, please?

Which Grand Cayman hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Your opinion of these seven restaurants, please?

Hello ... I hope I am posting on the correct forum. We are a family of five with three adult kids (20, 20, 24). We will be renting a condo on Austin Connolly Drive which seems to about midway between Seven Mile Beach and Rum Point. We are planning to go out for dinner three or four times, and cook at the condo for the other three nights. The owner of the condo recommended these restaurants:

Pappagallo, Orchid Thai, Casanova, Tukka, the Lighthouse, Grand Old House, and Guy Harvey's. I've seen Tukka and Grand Old House mentioned on these threads, but not the others. They all get 4 or 4+ reviews on TA, but I am hoping for more direct feedback from the fine folks of this forum.

Although he didn't mention it, we plan on going to the Kaibo beach bbq on the Tuesday that we arrive (July 30). My husband doesn't want to have to wear long pants while we are there, so any restaurant requiring that is out.

So, if you had to choose three of the seven restaurants mentioned, which would they be?

Many thanks in advance for any input.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
909 posts
1. Re: Your opinion of these seven restaurants, please?

I would give Thai Orchid a miss. Good food but it is in a strip mall so not a Cayman feel to it at all. I'm also not super keen on Casanova. It is a nice view of the harbor but I don't dons the food to be anything special. If you'd like Italian and a view, I prefer Dolce Vita. Papagallo is a great restaurant but quite far from you so wouldn't be my fist choice if I were staying where you are. Guy Harveys does a 9.99 special each night. You might want to check out which night tickles your fancy as it's a good opportunity for a nice meal at a great price. All the others are great, Cayman experiences. Enjoy!

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
3,382 posts
70 reviews
2. Re: Your opinion of these seven restaurants, please?

Guy Harvey's is good when the cruise crowd isn't there which, being dinner, they won't be.

Papagallo used to be good, but I think the restaurants in Camana Bay would come before it in my estimation. The Lighthouse is probably closest to where you are staying - I did lunch there once, but not dinner - I have heard folks say that it is a bit overpriced for what it is.

I'm a big fan of the Grand Old House, partly because of its obvious historical roots.

Hope this helps.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
4,702 posts
130 reviews
3. Re: Your opinion of these seven restaurants, please?

Agreed with the above posts.

Papagallo: Way to far a drive for mediocre food that is expensive. Consider Al Fresco or Morgans Harbour in West Bay if your plan is to visit that side of the island. Both have great waterside dining, fresh fish and are less expensive.

Thai Orchid: Mediocre Thai food in a strip mall. Consider Agua instead. Also in a strip mall but better food by far.

Casanova: Another overpriced Italian restaurant with mediocre food. Check out some of the restaurants in Caymana Bay. Michael's Genuine focuses on fresh, local ingredients and the setting is great.

Grand Old House and Tukka are great and both will be a shorter drive than the other restaurants listed above.

Enjoy!

elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
4. Re: Your opinion of these seven restaurants, please?

Thank you both! This is very helpful. Thai food in a strip mall is definitely not on my idea of a good time. :-) I would much rather to go places that have more of a Cayman feel.

TravellingBritNY, I googled Camana Bay restaurants and found this list of restaurants. Which one(s) would you recommend? I appreciate your input. (P.S. My sister lives near Syracuse. She and her husband bleed orange.)

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
8,881 posts
54 reviews
5. Re: Your opinion of these seven restaurants, please?

I was going to suggest Morgan's Harbour as well. It along Michael's Genuine in Camana Bay are well known for scooping up as much of the prime local catch as they can get their hands on. I also love Ortanique. Luca is probably my overall favorite (Sunday brunch is incredible). I do still like Casanova == been going for 20 years and never had a bad time. I have been with groups of 20 and just 2. They treat us wonderfully so I guess we are spoiled. Sitting on the beach is awesome. I'm not a big fans of the "reviews" . . . an interesting example of a plant is for "Bamboo". Someone who supposedly lives on the island suggested 2 other sushi restaurants over it recently . . . thing is it has been closed for well over a year and the new Side Bar isn't even a restaurant. Sometimes people can add or detract to overall ratings very unfairly!!! Karma which is in a strip mall has been delightful repeatedly and I have only been to Agua twice and both times was really pleasantly surprised with both food and service.

New Hope...
Level Contributor
644 posts
31 reviews
6. Re: Your opinion of these seven restaurants, please?

In Camana Bay, Michael's and Ortinique are both worth going to . For Italian, I would go to Edoardo's and La Dulce Vida. Ragazzi and Luca's are also a consideration. Unfortunately Cassanova and Pappagallo do not make the cut.. Brasserie is also a good choice in Georgetown, much better than Guy Harvey., but I have great respect for Mr. Harvey's conservation efforts.Thai Orchid is a typical Thai restaurant which could be in any town in the US.

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: Your opinion of these seven restaurants, please?

I am not sure that I would describe Austin Connolly Drive as “midway between Seven Mile Beach and Rum Point.” It is located on the eastern end of Grand Cayman while Rum Point is on the far west end of the north shore and Seven Mile Beach is on the far west side of the island. Good Google maps of Grand Cayman are available on-line.

Regardless, you didn’t state what kind of restaurants/food are you looking for: fine dining, inexpensive, sea side, “local” cuisine, formal/informal, etc?

Some of my favorite restaurants near the East End (that would NOT be considered “fine dining” but get good TA ratings for “local” cuisine):

Breakers: South Coast Bar and Grill

Old Man Bay: Kurts Corner and Over the Edge

There is a well-reviewed Italian Restaurant (that also serves fresh fish dishes) called the Italian Kitchen located on the East End (across from Morritts Resort).

Another suggestion might be to consider eating in the Seven Mile Beach area for lunch – so you could also combine the trip with daytime activities. Not fine dining, but I really love the conch options at Macabuca in West Bay (across from the Turtle Farm/Boatswain Beach). My Bar at Sunset House also is a great place to have lunch.

elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
8. Re: Your opinion of these seven restaurants, please?

I appreciate everyone's comments so much. Many thanks! I feel I'm a lot better equipped to make some decisions now. I will look up menus and photos for all of the restaurants suggested. I'm a little surprised that the condo owner suggested some clunkers. Oh well, he's a very nice guy and I'm sure he meant well.

I agree, MidwestAnnie, "midway" was a poor choice of words. "In between" would have been better. The place we're renting is in East End Paradise Villas. I should have mentioned what type of restaurant we are interested in. As I said, no long pants for my husband, so not formal. I'm thinking upscale casual (as long as shorts with a polo shirt for him are acceptable), nice atmosphere, seaside, local cuisine ... but we are flexible about that.

Thanks again for the great input!

NJ
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
9. Re: Your opinion of these seven restaurants, please?

The only 3 that we've been to on your list over the many years we've visited GC are Pappagallo, Casanova's and Grand Old House. Perhaps in the minority on this thread but I'd recommend all 3 of those. I'd suggest looking at the menus and then making a decision. Also we stay central SMB area and they are all within a decent driving time so perhaps location factors into it for you.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,332 posts
18 reviews
10. Re: Your opinion of these seven restaurants, please?

If you're on east end--Tukka is a nice restaurant. My husband wears shorts to all the restaurants we go to. The only long pants he takes these days are jeans for the airplane. And we also like the Italian restaurant across from the Reef.

Edited: 7:54 am, July 03, 2013