We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thank you! Grand Cayman was Amazing!

Pelham
Level Contributor
136 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Thank you! Grand Cayman was Amazing!

We returned last Saturday and had the best family vacation of our lives! I felt so prepared after the year of research here. Thank you to everyone who answered my many, many questions.

I'm not going to do a full report but we did everything we had planned except snorkeling at Smith Cove. We stopped on our way to the airport and realized what a missed opportunity it was! It was beautiful beyond words.

We did do the four stop Stingray City trip with ToursCayman and they were amazing. I did a separate review on Trip Advisor. We also found out that our kids think a sandy beach is boring and that rocks/coral make for a more interesting snorkel experience. Imagine my surprise, when they asked to leave Governors Beach after 1.5 hours as they preferred the snorkeling off our rocky shore at Coral Sands Resort!

We can also now recommend the snuba experience at the Wreck of the Cali. My middle son desperately wanted to try Scuba and this was a more comfortable first experience for us. He did it with his father and both count it as one of their best island experiences. They are now signing up for Scuba classes here.

Now, we need suggestions on another island to visit next year. I'm not sure we'll find another one as safe as Grand Cayman. I truly believe the Cayman people are the most beautiful, friendly and kind people that I have ever met! We felt "welcomed" from the moment we stepped off the plane. Actually, my son's first words on the tarmac was "Mom, I know we've been in Cayman for 30 seconds but can we come back? I know I'm going to LOVE it here". I have a suspicion that our family will vote to return there next year!

Thank you again for all the help!

Michelle

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,447 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thank you! Grand Cayman was Amazing!

Husband, daughter, and I all had same reaction within one hour of arriving on GC the forst time as your son did! Had previoisly been to many other islands and knew very quickly we would return. We have....year after year since the mid 1990s:-)

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thank you! Grand Cayman was Amazing!

You did a lot of researching, so glad it paid off and you had a wonderful vacation with your family. Sounds like you have already found the place for next year!

Galax VA
Level Contributor
86 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thank you! Grand Cayman was Amazing!

Sounds like you all enjoy snorkeling, diving, watersports. I suggest you try Roatan as your next island! Check it out.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thank you! Grand Cayman was Amazing!

Or just come back and enjoy Cayman as many of us have. We tried a few other places, but were always disappointed, so just decided to keep coming back! lad you had a good trip!

Edited: 4:57 pm, May 05, 2013
chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thank you! Grand Cayman was Amazing!

Oops....should have said glad you had a good trip

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thank you! Grand Cayman was Amazing!

If you like snorkeling, definitely 2nd the vote for Roatan. May not be as "safe" as Grand Cayman, but the snorkeling is better, the locals are friendly (not quite GC friendly in my experience) but the visit will be much friendlier on your wallet! Another favorite is St. John. Just as safe feeling as GC with good snorkeling and beautiful beaches.

Pelham
Level Contributor
136 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thank you! Grand Cayman was Amazing!

I don't think RCI has any resorts in Roatan or St. John's. Any suggestions for a condo?

We were forced to spend time at the Cayman Airport and spoke to quite a few people heading to Cayman Brac. It sounds lovely too!

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thank you! Grand Cayman was Amazing!

The Brac has it's appeal, but I wouldn't recommend it for everyone.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
612 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thank you! Grand Cayman was Amazing!

Turks and Caicos but maybe not so much for the kids (depending on ages) unless you stay at Beaches....

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,579 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thank you! Grand Cayman was Amazing!

How far do you want to go? I stopped serious snorkeling ages ago and snorkeled around an island in OZ a couple of years ago. It was off the charts. Clams bigger than people, octopus, more life in the blink of an eye than I have seen anywhere! So much colour I could hardly take it in. I would do it again in a heartbeat but it is a bit of hike to get there.