We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 3

Philly
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Day 3

Today was Georgetown day. Very nice day but too many carbon copy duty free stores for my liking. We LOVED Artifacts, the stamp store and Pure Art/Glassblowing shops on the outskirts. I can't see why more shops of this variety wouldn't prosper.

Lunch was Paradise because we were on the south side when hunger overcame us. Pretty good but was hoping to try Da Fish Shack.

Back to TNI for a little pool time before Walkabout Wednesday at Tukka. Chef Ron was there and it was a fun time. Highly recommended.

One problem. Nighttime crab migration!!!!! Not sure if this is a seasonal thing but there had to be at least 200 crabs crossing the 50mi/hr stretch just south of Bombay Chopstiks. We almost killed ourselves trying to avoid them. Poor little guys!

Add that to the 5+ road kill lizards we saw today and it wasn't great for the other 1/2. "I thought we had a deal!" Anyone know the pop culture reference?

Seriously, are either the lizards or crabs in ecological danger? We are animal lovers and would like to know.

Last thing. Testudo, you snorkeling Picts are great. I'm using a Sony NEX5 with underwater housing. My deeper reef shots are blurry. I can't gauge the auto focus, which is probably taking too much time to measure. I know it's not meant for under water but I was hoping for better success. Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

smarcat

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,466 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 3

What settings are you using on the NEX5? That camera + lens should blow any images my equipment is capable of producing, out of the water...

Philly
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 3

Right now I have it on Intelligent Auto, no flash. I was thinking this would be best as going too manual would require time for focusing, etc?

Denver, Colorado
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 3

I also have that NEX-5N. What underwater housing do you have?

Here is a link to another forum talking about underwater housings for the NEX, but some posters talk about their actual settings they used (link is to top of page 8, you can go through the other pages to see if anyone else mentions settings): www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3107268?page=8

Philly
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 3

Thanks Turbo. I will check the link. I have a dicapac housing.

Denver, Colorado
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day 3

I actually was asking about that bag in my thread, have you used it before or will this be the first time?

I have a GoPro3 that I'll be taking, but was wondering if it was worth it to get one of those DiCAPac bags.

Philly
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day 3

Turbo, this is my first time. Bought it for this trip. I purchased via eBay for around $40 with shipping. It has done a great job keeping things dry. My only complaint is that is you're shooting in manual mode, you cannot make adjustments once the bag is sealed. The only buttons you really have access to are the top ones.

So, it is a little frustrating because, if an adjustment is needed, you need to get out of the water, and make sure you're dry before messing with the settings.

Otherwise, all good!

7. Re: Day 3

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 04, 2014