We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turtle Stew?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
99 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Turtle Stew?

Hitting GC on a cruise in 2 weeks with tweens & grandparents in tow. Hoping to grab some local eats after our stingray snorkel ends at 12:30... have been reading up and will not leave the island without sampling the eco-farmed green sea turtle!! And maybe some conch?

Would appreciate destination experts/local advice on best bests to a delicious, non-tourist seafood menu that includes turtle. Any old popular hole in the wall is fine for us (do not need a view or impeccable service) as we are hoping to get our tour to drop us off, grab take out and head to a beach to chow down/picnic before re-boarding the ship around 2:30. I'm thinking Smith's Cove, so if there are any good spots in that vicinity, would love to hear about it. Or if this plan sounds insane and impossible to achieve given the time restraints, please help! Much obliged to the forum, thanks all.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
18 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Turtle Stew?

Personally I won't ever step foot in Myrtle's again. Went in Feb. 2012.

It is a very LOCAL place, where we were borderline not welcome and they were "out" of all items that included turtle.

We did eat a small jerk chicken meal which was not particularly good.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
18 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Turtle Stew?

The turtle farm seems like the best bet.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
99 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Turtle Stew?

foltster, you confirmed my gut feelings about Myrtles. Sorry you didn't enjoy your experience there, but is there anywhere else you tried and liked. I have made inquiries to the turtle farm.

Thanks again smushies, and btw, I agree with you totally about the "relativity" of the safety of our food system in general! Was just really really surprised to see that post on the Smithsonian's blog. Sounded like some kind of witch hunt!

Testudo, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger! So, friends, if you were me, where would you guys grab take out to eat at the beach?

Beachvacationer2, most people say that turtle tastes somewhere between chicken and veal... seems like that wasn't your experience? So sad that you made the trek out to the turtle farm and the meal let you down. Was the attraction worth while?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,718 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Turtle Stew?

" most people say that turtle tastes somewhere between chicken and veal"

I totally disagree. I've eaten lizzard, aligator, snake and plenty of turtle. Iguana is actually a popular meal for Filipinos, even in the Cayman Islands. Regardless, they all taste like reptiles. Nothing like chicken or veal. It's got a gamey taste and a lot of fat.

I'd suggest getting food from Fosters. The buffet is very popular with the local crowd or lunch. Plenty of different local dishes to try (stewed fish, curry chicken....) and an easy walk across the street to the beach for dining and relaxing.

Edited: 11:41 am, February 11, 2013
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
99 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Turtle Stew?

Hey thanks again, smushie. I located the Foster's IGA on Canal Point Road. Definitely sounds like a wallet friendly option, albeit turtle free. Do you know if that part of 7MB is public? As in, can we just walk over with our take out lunch and plop down on towels and enjoy the beach?

And at the risk of sounding obsessed, someone sent me this link today:

nbcnews.com/id/….URk_iKWpRL0

So there is a bit of a witch hunt on for the GC Turtle Farm. So I wonder, is it over the top or is the place really a death trap?

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
18 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Turtle Stew?

I doubt you run in to protestors but maybe I am wrong. Any recent visitors?

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Turtle Stew?

Why don't you eat lionfish instead? It's super yummy and there is a growing effort all over the Caribbean to put it on the menu and get them off the reefs.

Personally, to me, eating a turtle would be like eating a dog. Or shark fin soup.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,718 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Turtle Stew?

Jungledriver,

I've eaten turtle, dog, and shark fin soup and none of them taste anything alike.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Turtle Stew?

You missed the point. I don't condone eating dogs, shark fin soup and turtles. That is just my opinion but i would venture a guess that a lot of people on here agree. i was suggesting a more sustainable option like Lionfish. One of the dive ops on GC posts regularly about how many they are removing from the reefs. Maybe you could make it a new family tradition

Edited: 11:51 pm, February 14, 2013
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
99 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Turtle Stew?

People have eaten all those things and more throughout history guys... it's all down to cultural acclimation. Plenty of folks in outside North America consider a cheeseburger to be a fate worse than death (I know my grandma would never touch one), so each to his own.

Yes, shark fin is a contentious and debatable meal. But is pork from North America's fully automated modern hog farms, to my mind anyways, whether or not it's sustainable.

Turtle is eaten traditionally in the Atlantic coast of the USA, all over Europe and Asia (anyone seen the film Babette's Feast?). It may not be what your mama put in your lunch bag, but that doesn't mean it's not a square meal for someone else.

In the Caymans, sea turtle is now both conserved AND farmed in Grand Cayman, by a government sponsored institution, no less. It's an island in the sea, so sea creatures make up their dietary staples. When in Rome.... YUM.

Edited: 1:12 am, February 15, 2013