We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small or Semi private Stingray and snorkel tour

kentucky
Level Contributor
448 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
Small or Semi private Stingray and snorkel tour

OK...I have finally figured out the Stingray city and Sand bar. Now I am looking for a small or semi private tour. We are just a party of 2, so it would be too expensive to do a private charter.

We would like to be on a boat with only 8-12 people that you can get to know. Half day or all day

If nothing like this exist, who does the smallest group tours?

We are open...we just want to be crammed on a boat with 30-100 people.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for East End, Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
902 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Small or Semi private Stingray and snorkel tour

I do my best work in the wee hours, Sue!

Pelham
Level Contributor
136 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Small or Semi private Stingray and snorkel tour

Hi:

Don't want to start a new thread but can anyone tell me which company might have stairs leading into/out of the water? A small group, a bathroom and easy entry into the water would make this handicap mom's decision so much easier! LOL. Thanks.

Has anyone done the lunch trip with Captain Marvin's?

Thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Small or Semi private Stingray and snorkel tour

I've gone with Dexter the last two years running...great experience both times. My wife and I are both novice to snorkel, but was perfect for our experience. The Stingray sandbar, is the sandbar, you will get lots of rays regardless to the trip you choose. On any ray/snorkel trip you will get about 45-60 min with rays, and another 45-60 min at the reef nearby (they move the boat about a .25 mile). The snorkel trip both times depended on the crew aboard. Some people, liked to snorkel better than others. But even at the snorkel site, I don't feel the true ones were unhappy. They sat on the trimaran getting sun, while others swam. very low key, and pleasant.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,630 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Small or Semi private Stingray and snorkel tour

Capt. marvins is very popular...I've seen them at Kaibo for a lunch stop

Minnesota
Level Contributor
623 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Small or Semi private Stingray and snorkel tour

We are trying to decide between Dexter's and Captain Marvin's. It looks like Dexter's has 2 stops (Sandbar and Barrier Reef) with beverages served on the way back and Captain Marvin's has 3 stops (Sandbar, Barrier Reef and Coral Gardens). About the same price. Looks like they both pick you up at SMB and provde the gear. Is the 3rd stop @ Coral Gardens worth it? On the website for Dexter's it states that they only take 18-20 people per trip. Can't find anything like that on Marvin's.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for East End, Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
902 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Small or Semi private Stingray and snorkel tour

Coral Gardens is the best snorkel spot on Grand Cayman, so given a choice I'd opt for a trip including that.

Michelle, I took the Red Sail catamaran Stingray City tripout of Rum Point a couple of years ago. There were stairs leading into the water and an easily accessible head (boater talk for "bathroom") on board their vessel - but it is a large craft that carried maybe 40 people. You should contact the operators directly to inquire about any accessibility needs.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
623 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Small or Semi private Stingray and snorkel tour

Thanks. That is the information I needed to hear. Made our reservations with Captain Marvin's!

kentucky
Level Contributor
448 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Small or Semi private Stingray and snorkel tour

When you booked with Capt Marvin did they say how many people they usually have on board?

19. Re: Small or Semi private Stingray and snorkel tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 07, 2014