We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need more help with restaurant recommendations

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
555 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Need more help with restaurant recommendations

Hi again,

Will be in GC in 10 days! :) And still trying to figure out a couple details mainly re: restaurant choices.

We were thinking of Macabuca for lunch after the Turtle Farm on a Saturday. But now considering Calypso Grill for lunch.

We currently have reservations for CG for dinner one night but thinking that if we go there for lunch, that would open up another night to try out Morgan's Harbour, Osentra Bay or may even consider the Kaibo Beach BBQ (via water taxi) on Tuesday.

Here's what we have planned for now:

Arrival Day: dinner @ condo (order in or cook)

Day 2: lunch @ condo, dinner @ Periwinkles

Day 3: (first day with rental car) lunch @ condo or ?, dinner @ Grand Old House (Thanksgiving)

Day 4: lunch @ condo, dinner @ Ortanique

Day 5: lunch @ Macabuca or Calypso Grill (after Turtle Farm), dinner @ Ritz Beach BBQ

Day 6: brunch @ Luca, dinner @ condo

Day 7: (day to explore Rum Point, etc.) lunch @ the Wreck Bar or Kaibo, dinner @ Pappagallo's

Day 8: lunch @ condo or ?, dinner @ Calypso Grill (or Morgan's Harbour, Osentra Bay, Hemingways or Kaibo Beach BBQ)

Day 9: lunch @ condo or ?, dinner @ Casanova's (last night)

So, I guess it's really Day 8 for dinner we need the most help/opinions on. Making Day 8 a babysitter night/couples only dinner is under consideration too. Although a family night at the Kaibo Beach BBQ sounds like a lot of fun too!

We plan on breakfasts & most lunches @ the condo, although we hope to make it to Sunshine Grill, Duke's and/or My Bar, etc. for lunch if possible. We also would like a couple dinners "at home".

Any and all opinions appreciated! Again, we are a family with two young kids (8 and 2), if that helps. And, yes, we enjoy a delicious meal. However, a memorable setting/atmosphere (and where the kids would be comfortable) is probably more of a priority.

Also, having said that, are there any special seating or table requests for any of the restaurants mentioned?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
555 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need more help with restaurant recommendations

Edit: "Also, having said that, are there any special seating or table requests for any of the restaurants mentioned *that you would recommend*?"

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,378 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Need more help with restaurant recommendations

Skip Calypso Grill in favor of Macabuca and Morgan's Harbour.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,761 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need more help with restaurant recommendations

Too much planning!

Lunch at Kaibo vs Wreck Grill

Kaibo BBQ can be a fun outing, but don't go specifically for the food.

Do not skip Calypso Grill if this is your only trip to GC, you like fish dishes and can be sans kids for the night..., but Morgan's Harbour is better if you have the kids in tow.

Sit outside wherever you can, weather permitting.

Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
302 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need more help with restaurant recommendations

Definitely include Calypso Grill, and yes the Water Taxi to Kaibo is a fun ride.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,698 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need more help with restaurant recommendations

Way too much planning!

Sounds like you have a good list of places to go. Play it by ear and enjoy your visit.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,816 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need more help with restaurant recommendations

I agree with the way too much planning!!!! You are overworking it. You might end up going someplace for lunch where you hang out a lot longer and don't feel like a big dinner, might end getting back from a venue later than your thought, might have skipped a meal and looking for "multicourse" venue. You have a good list of places, just chill out enjoy and remember vacation is time to leave the "schedule" behind!!!!!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
555 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need more help with restaurant recommendations

Yes, haven't quite mastered giving up the over-planning/scheduling yet. But you all are right......need.to.relax!

By the way, DH told me the same.....so he will be happy to know I was given the same advice by some fellow travelers. :)

New Hope...
Level Contributor
739 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need more help with restaurant recommendations

I agree with the above sentiments that you agenda is overly ambitious. I always found that with young children it was always difficult to have all of my plans come to fruition. Day 7 seems the most problematic going to one side of the island Rum Point, the go all the way to Pappagallo. I think the kids would be worn out. I also agree that the Calypso grill is not as kid friendly as Morgan's Harbor., as is Ortanique and Osetra Bay are not the best places for kids.

I believe that your idea on ordering in is a good idea. Cayman fine dine-in is a website you could use to find a restaurant to order from. www.finedinein.com

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
555 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need more help with restaurant recommendations

Thank you GeorgeRob! That is exactly the feedback we need, especially re: day 7 and how fitting certain restaurants may be with the kids.

Guess we may need to re-think a couple itinerary details, although maybe what's best is to stop the over thinking and just go with the flow when we get there. :)

Can't wait! Now 9 days and counting.....

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,698 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need more help with restaurant recommendations

Yes!

Un-think, don't rethink. You've got a good list, play the rest by ear.

Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman