We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does the airport have currency exchange

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
440 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Does the airport have currency exchange

Does the airport have a currency exchange window to exchange some USD to CI when we arrive?

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Does the airport have currency exchange

To avoid major appointment, I suggest you look under ordering foreign currency on the BofA site and not selling...

https:/…convcalculator.action

Cayman Islands Dollar (KYD): 1.3041

Edited: 9:04 pm, January 02, 2013
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
8,904 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Does the airport have currency exchange

and here I was starting to make my retirement plans.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,094 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Does the airport have currency exchange

Do BofA charge an exchange fee? That's how they normally get you.

Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Does the airport have currency exchange

I went to the Christmas market at Camana Bay and needed CI for transactions there. They have a bank and I exchanged US dollars to CI dollars, I was not charged a transaction fee. I also used an ATM machine and between all the fees I think it cost me $9, some being their fees and some my banks fees.

Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,904 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Does the airport have currency exchange

Debbie, I think you're confused. In 30+ years, I have never EVER heard of someone in Cayman refusing American dollars. Caymanian businesses often need to buy US dollars and lose money on the transfer which is why they are ALWAYS happy to have US dollars.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,094 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Does the airport have currency exchange

Ah yes, BoA say that it will cost you $1304 US to buy $1000 CI

Darn! ;-)

one thing I learned a long while ago is that, aside from the different buy and sell rates than banks charge, there is also a different base rate for currency vs paper/online transactions. You often get a better rate if no actual physical cash is exchanged. This is often why using an ATM, even with a fee, is preferrable, because you get the better rate.

Here is an article that outlines how this all works, with some great tips:

travelandleisure.com/articles/reaping-the-ri…

Lessons from that article:

1. Don't convert in a US bank before you go.

2. Do use ATMs in your location

3. Do a small number of exchanges for larger amounts rather than a large number for smaller amounts

4. After ATMs, paying with a Credit Card gives you your next best rate, but don't use them for withdrawals from ATMs

5. Failing all these options, use a local bank in your destination, not an exchange booth

The article explains the "why"s of each of these.

Cadillac, Michigan
4 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Does the airport have currency exchange

They probably would have accepted US dollars at the Christmas market at Camana Bay. But it was busy and there were lots of locals there. I bought a straw basket from an older Caymanian women who wove them herself and had 3 baskets to sell. I bought bread from a lady who baked them in her house. Yea I am sure I could have used US dollars but it was cash only and it would have to be converted. It was easier and I felt like I blended in, my choice.

Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Does the airport have currency exchange

Sorry, posted under my other account. I need to combine them. Ugh!

Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,904 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Does the airport have currency exchange

So you didn't need CI dollars, you just preferred to pay in CI dollars. And, for the record, you bought a basket from my great aunt. She would have gladly taken your US dollars since she uses it when she flies to Tampa to visit family.

BTW, the basket you bought is made of Silver Thatch not straw. Silver Thatch is indigenous to the Cayman Islands and its use in the manufacture of baskets and rope is a major part of Caymanian history.

Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Does the airport have currency exchange

Smushie, you are absolutely right. I didn't need CI dollars, I thought it was easier for everyone. I should have chosen my words more carefully. I was trying to point out how easy it was to go to the bank and exchange my US dollars for CI.

That was your great aunt? I am even more excited now. We were so excited to find someone who wove the baskets and I couldn't remember the name of the palm. Thank you so much for explaining. We were very interested in finding items on the island that were made by residents and we will always think of how the island existed before the cruise ships came.

I wish I had bought a bigger jar of the Cayman Pepper Jelly. It was so good and not something I am able to find here. Oh we'll, I will just have to go back.