We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does the airport have currency exchange

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
413 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Does the airport have currency exchange

Does the airport have a currency exchange window to exchange some USD to CI when we arrive?

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for East End, Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
921 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does the airport have currency exchange

No. There is no need to exchange currency, as U.S. money is accepted pretty much everywhere. In fact, I've yet to run into anyplace where it isn't accepted.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,889 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does the airport have currency exchange

As p59 mentioned everyone accepts US. In many places the price is given in both US and CI, the exchange rate is fixed. You will get your change in CI The CI$ is worth more than the US$ so something that costs CI$1 actually will cost you US$1.25. My daughter who works on the island tells me it is truly surprising how confused people get by this. Even people to have been there before or already there for a week, ask if they can have a discount for paying in CI since it is worth more!!!! Have a great trip.

GC
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
697 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does the airport have currency exchange

Just try and remember the following:

US$50 = CI$40

US$ 20 =CI$16

US$10 =CI$8

US$5 =CI$4

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,810 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does the airport have currency exchange

Just to answer your question first - according to …airports-guides.com/gcm_airport_facilities.… the airport does have a currency exchange, and I think I remember seeing it too.

But as others have said, I wouldn't bother - you can use your ATM card to withdraw CI dollars if you really need them, but you more than likely won't.

One thing we have found is that when you pay a bill, it gets presented to you in Cayman Dollars, but if you use a U.S> Credit Card, the charge is automatically converted to U.S. dollars. That can be a little off-putting at first, since it can look like they are jacking the price up!

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
413 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does the airport have currency exchange

Thanks everyone! I had read that the USD is accepted pretty much everywhere, its just a personal preference for me to use the currency of the place we are visiting. Again thanks for all the useful information! Only 2 more days to wait!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,807 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does the airport have currency exchange

I do not recall seeing a currency exchange at the airport, but never looked for one either. The CIAA website doesn't list one, just an available ATM which technically serves the same purpose.

caymanairports.com/ContentDisplay.aspx/custo…

Edited: 10:58 am, October 17, 2012
iowa
Level Contributor
180 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Does the airport have currency exchange

The airport does not have an exchange anymore--they used to. I only used it when I was leaving to get rid of my Cayman money. Now you have to make sure you have used all of it before leaving or you are stuck with it until the next time.

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does the airport have currency exchange

I prefer to use CI$ especially when shopping at smaller stores that use a hand calculator for the conversion. I use an ATM machine and ask for the cash in CI$. Word of caution: some ATMs charge a service fee whereas others do not.

Edited: 5:21 pm, October 17, 2012
New Hope...
Level Contributor
739 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does the airport have currency exchange

If you want to get CI$ and don't have a ATM card, you could go to a local bank. The exchange rate is fixed so there are no places with better rates. Although, i would stick with US dollars.

Denver, NC
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Does the airport have currency exchange

I just looked at BofA exchange site , and the rate is $1 CI to $1.075 USD so I can get $1000. CI for $1075. USD If there is a fixed rate of 1.CI to 1.25 USD on the island. then I believe I will exchange my money here in the States...

Edited: 8:55 pm, January 02, 2013