We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Starfish Point-Dolphin

New Jersey
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Starfish Point-Dolphin

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has recently seen the dolphin at Starfish Point Beach? My family and I are watching the movie "Dolphin Tale", which made us all think of our special time in Grand Cayman when we got to see a wild dolphin. Anyway, just curious as to how the little guy/girl is doing! Hopefully well and hopefully all the starfish are well too! ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Cayman
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Starfish Point-Dolphin

Not sure if you have seen these:

caymannewsservice.com/science-and-nature/201…

caymannewsservice.com/science-and-nature/201…

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Starfish Point-Dolphin

I know that I have read those articles.

I was curious, though, about an answer to the OP's question. She was asking if anyone has seen the dolphin lately. We'll be there in 3 weeks and were hoping to have a peek at him.

Edited: 4:08 pm, August 12, 2012
Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Starfish Point-Dolphin

I saw the dolphin in North Sound on July 19.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Starfish Point-Dolphin

Hi, thanks for your replies! Sorry for not being more specific. We left Grand Cayman on July 21st. And the last we saw of the dolphin was a few days prior to our departure. I was wondering if anyone has seem him since then? It truly was a memorable experience to be snorkeling in the water with the dolphin. Of course our first time we didn't know any better. The second encounter we stayed a distance from him because we had read the article. I just want to know that he is doing well as he really touched our hearts!!

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
256 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Starfish Point-Dolphin

We saw the dolphin twice...Thursday at Starfish Point from 2-3PM and Saturday at the docks at Kaibo Beach around 6PM. The locals have named him Stinky, believe he's from Jamaica, and claim he's been in the area for 3 years. He followed our boat into Starfish, and loved to swim along the anchor line. He was in a mood to play and wanted to be near people. Several folks arrived on jet skis from Redsail, and they snorkeled in the water while he was there. He swam in circles, he jumped out of the water, and he snuck up on swimmers. He does respond to clapping of hands, and sounded as if he were trying to communicate. He is large,heavy,and appears to be very strong while at the same time unaware of his strength.

He seems to be attracted to the hum and vibration of diesel motors.

Edited: 7:05 pm, August 12, 2012
Mentioned in this post
KAIBO Beach Restaurant
KAIBO Beach Restaurant
1,178 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
New Jersey
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Starfish Point-Dolphin

Awe, thanks so much for the update! I can't believe he showed up at Kaibo Beach! We actually stayed at one of the condos there. How I would have loved to have seen him right in front of our condo! So glad that you got to experience him as well! He put on quite the show when we saw him too. Each time was better than the time before! And again an experience that we will always remember and treasure! If you are still in Grand Cayman, hope you continue to have a lovely time! Thanks again for the great update!

Mentioned in this post
KAIBO Beach Restaurant
KAIBO Beach Restaurant
1,178 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Marathon, Florida
Level Contributor
60 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Starfish Point-Dolphin

Hi there, we just got back from GC a few weeks ago and he is doing great. You can see pics of him playing with our jet skis if you click on my last review of FatFish Adventures. Kinda sad that he is alone but he looks to be doing ok. I talked to the folks at Dolphin Cove and asked if they had ever though about trying to relocate him to help him find a pack but they said they really aren't able to handle that sort of thing. I just hope he don't get hurt playing around all the boats.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Starfish Point-Dolphin

Thank you so much for posting your update! So nice to hear that the dolphin is still doing well! Also, thanks for sharing your pictures! Nice to not only hear how is doing but to see him! I agree with you that it is sad that he is alone!! And that no one has tried to relocate him. Not so long ago, the environmental group put out a warning about him and to caution people not to go near him because of his possible aggression and such. It was hard but on the second occasion of us seeing him, my husband so badly wanted to snorkel with him. He put on such a beautiful show that one finds it so hard that this dolphin could ever exhibit aggressive behavior. However, better to be safe than sorry. I didn't want any harm to come to either my husband or the dolphin! So we enjoyed this wonderful creature from a distance! Thanks again for your update and glad you enjoyed your time in GC too! :-)

9. Re: Starfish Point-Dolphin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:54 am, September 13, 2012
New Jersey
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Starfish Point-Dolphin

This is wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing! I just posted it on Facebook for a few people to see that we met in Grand Cayman and that loved Starfish Beach especially our little dolphin friend!! Thanks again for the wonderful update! :-)

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman