We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Starfish Beach

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
26 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Starfish Beach

The info on trip advisor is a little limited so I was wondering if any one could tell me a little more about where it is and what's there. We will be taking our first trip to Cayman at the beginning of June and are staying at Tamarind Bay. We are not certified divers and are traveling as a family of four with two teenagers.

Texas
Level Contributor
93 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Starfish Beach

We were there last week & there was only 2 Starfish. We didn't go out very far to see if there were anymore, but it was a little disappointing. We got some cute pictures with the starfish in the water.

They can only be out of water for 2 minutes. Don't think many people realize this. I know we weren't aware of this.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Starfish Beach

Can't resist adding my thoughts. The starfish should not be handled at all, merely observed while they lie in their natural habitat. They were not put there by nature for our entertainment and photo ops. It is a pity that this has been added to tours , is now promoted as a tourist attraction and is subject to hoards of people, noisy boats and diesel fuel. I remember when folks found it through word of mouth, no promotional sign and it was a beautiful, peaceful area visited by a lucky few and perhaps locals enjoying lunch. Shame on the tour operators who participate in this disrespect for what was meant to be left alone and in peace I know that the business is competitive and income is much needed but money does not trump everything. I find this very sad. I can't stop the increasing flow of tourists there, some respectful and some just plain ignorant, but I can regret what the area has become. If you want to be photographed having fun on your vacation stick to Stingray City. At least the stingrays come to you looking for food and are not ripped out of their habitat by people looking to enhance their vacation experience. Thanks all, I feel better now.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,154 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Starfish Beach

kudos to kiddos!

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Starfish Beach

Thanks, smushie. I was bracing myself for critical responses. They may still appear but on this and similar issues, those responses do not matter to me.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Starfish Beach

Also, Starfish are extremely vulnerable to pollutants and water contaminants. So the sooner the ever expanding Mt. Trashmore is capped and/or removed to stop any leeching into North Sound, the better the chance future generations may see one...or two.

Edited: 8:58 pm, July 08, 2013
26. Re: Starfish Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 10, 2014