We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What days do cruise ships come in to GC?

Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
22 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
What days do cruise ships come in to GC?

I want to plan a couple of major attractions like Sting Ray city, but would like to do it on a day the Cruise ships don't come in to avoid crowds. Does anyone know when Cruise ships come in? Please don't tell me everyday.. :)

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,397 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What days do cruise ships come in to GC?

Unless you go to George Town or Rum Point when the ships are in you really shouldn't worry. You can check the port schedule to see how many (and how big) the ships are on any given day. Ops that cater to day visitors and stayover visitors often are on slightly different schedules. If you do Stingray City in the afternoon, most of the day visitors will be already off to snorkel stops, Rum Point, etc. As ships do not stay over in GC, most cruise visitors are on their way back to the ships in the early afternoon. A great idea if you want to go to GT is to go to a place like La Dolce Vita, Rackham's, My Bar at Sunset House for lunch, enjoy a great meal, watch the ship prepare to leave and hit GT before the shops close. On Sundays there are no ships in, however, shops are closed and the stingrays are given a break in the afternoons to hang out with the other residents of the island. However, diving, cat trips, snorkeling, swimming, exploring the island, Camana Bay, helicopter tour, etc., will not be bothered by day visitors. Other excursions can easily be done in the afternoons!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What days do cruise ships come in to GC?

You can find the ship port schedules and max passenger load of each vessel on the Cayman Port Authority's website here: http://www.caymanport.com/shipschedules.php

For us, if there over 6,000 day-trippers swarming around we stay put at our beach and wait out the storm. Just find it too different an experience at some of our favorite haunts having to "share" them.

Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
22 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What days do cruise ships come in to GC?

I knew I could find another fellow traveler that doesn't like crowds. :) Thanks so much for the info!!

Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
22 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What days do cruise ships come in to GC?

Retrip - Thanks so much for all of that great info!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,397 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What days do cruise ships come in to GC?

Testudo is so right. Timing is everything . I wouldn't be that happy with that many on a daily basis either and doubt the island could sustain that many! The max allowed number is 6,000 and that is when several ships are in. Although those days happen, it is not every day. Sometimes there are only two ships in. As long as you plan your day accordingly and check the port schedule you should not be overwhelmed. They have to be back on board in the afternoon and as they have to be tendered to the ships, most are on the way back at a pretty decent time.

6. Re: What days do cruise ships come in to GC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:35 am, April 21, 2013