We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cigars

Bergen County NJ
Level Contributor
129 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Cigars

I'm looking to bring home some, um, cigars. What's the deal? What's the best way? Should I just ship them? Any guidance is appreciated, I realize that this is a sensitive subject. Thank you.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,980 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cigars

If you do not want them to get closely inspected your are better off packing them and taking them with you in a carry on.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cigars

If it's the whole 'Cuban' thing you're worried about, then any of the guys at Havana Club or the other stores will remove the Cuba stickers from the cigars and put them in a different box, that says Dominican Republic etc. No way to tell then, just a box of cigars

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Bergen County NJ
Level Contributor
129 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cigars

Thank you both!! Very helpful information!

minneapolis, mn
Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cigars

I have been bringing back Cuban Cigars for about 6 years now (packed in my checked luggage) and have NEVER had a problem. I used to take the labels off (which is probably the smart choice) but the past 2 years I haven't even bothered to do that. I usually pack them in our sqeeze bottles, but I'm only bringing about 8 or so back.

Bergen County NJ
Level Contributor
129 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cigars

HOLY MONGOLIA!!!! We stopped in the cigar shop next to Deckers to scope out the cigars and .... I was not at all expecting to spend $900 CI on a box of Cohiba's. REALLY?? :-O

I'm sorry, but my husband's best friend is Cuban. His grandparents are naturalized citizens with the right to travel to Cuba due to land holdings in that country. They get a box of Cohiba's for $40. And because of their status they are permitted to bring back up to 2 boxes each visit.

We're going to head downtown in the morning to see what else we can find, I just cannot, no I will not, pay that. That's crazy!

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for East End, Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
938 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cigars

There's a duty-free cigar shop in the departure lounge at the airport - I forget the name, but you might want to give them a call for pricing. Won't be any help if the plan is to smoke 'em during your stay there, of course.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cigars

$900 A box sounds like Esplendidos or another top-line Cohiba. $36 a piece isn't too unreasonable, I pay around $50 or more per Esplendidos in London. Regular Cohibas aren't anywhere near as expensive. For a great cigar try the Montecristo 2, less than $20 each and really a great cigar. The Edmundos are nicer but around $25 each. We would go through boxes of Edmundos and Number 2's like they were being discontinued haha

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,451 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cigars

My hubby gets his from Florida. They are expensive here. A few years ago my son had some that we brought with us for personal use that were not smoked on the island. They were confiscated. He should have just removed the labels as stated.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Bergen County NJ
Level Contributor
129 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cigars

We did get a much better deal at the duty free shop in the airport. We paid $200 cash for 25 Cohibas. She removed the labels, repackaged them in a Dominican Republic box and gave me the Cohiba box & labels. I claimed them on my immigration form and no one even looked at them. We know nothing about cigars, so hopefully these are decent ones, lol. They're gifts for customers, we're planning a golf outing in a few weeks as an appreciation event for a group of our best customers, and we wanted to pass these out at the end of the night at the banquet. Hopefully we did good! Even if we didn't, it's still a Cuban cigar that they wouldn't normally be able to get around here.

Mentioned in this post
10. Re: Cigars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 18, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman