We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricane Wilma question for Tom Cayman

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
355 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hurricane Wilma question for Tom Cayman

Hi Tom,

I was wondering how the northside made out through the storm? I've seen pictures of 7MB and I read that the eastend was ok. Any info please??

Thanks, Sandy

George Town, Grand...
Level Contributor
763 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurricane Wilma question for Tom Cayman

Two words "no problem" :)

But, having been through Ivan, my thoughts are with the people of Cancun and Cozumel.... it looks utterly catastrophic there, this will put what they had in Gilbert in 88 in the shade, I fear.

Oh, and I thought that Hurricane Katrina had finally put some humility into Jim Cantore on the Weather Channel last night... but no.. last night I heard him talk about how if the storm lingered over Mexico it would be weaker by the time it got to Florida... true... but then he thanked Mexico for "taking one for the team"..... having lived through a massive Hurricane, I nearly through something at the TV.

These things are serious, they are not just fun and games for an idiot with a microphone... sorry, end of rant !

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Florida
Florida
United States
Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
355 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurricane Wilma question for Tom Cayman

Tom,

Thank you!! And I totally agree with your rant. I watched and cried for days last year when Ivan hit you guys, and I'm afraid Cozumel and Cancun are in the same boat. And Jim Cantore is an idiot!

Sandy

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
355 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurricane Wilma question for Tom Cayman

Tom,

One more question? As i'm watching the satelite pictures of Wilma on TV, I see a big red blob in the eastern Caribbean. Have you heard anything about another TD forming. Could this be Alpha? The reason I'd like to know is we're heading for GC next Saturday.

Thanks, Sandy

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
George Town, Grand...
Level Contributor
763 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurricane Wilma question for Tom Cayman

The one, the only source of reliable information is www.nhc.noaa.gov , everyone else gets their info from that data.

You are talking about TD 25, which is (currently) forecast to track through Hispaniola (probably causing yet more catastrophic flooding on all those hillsides denuded of trees), then heading up towards Bermuda.

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
355 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurricane Wilma question for Tom Cayman

Thanks for the info Tom.

Sandy

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurricane Wilma question for Tom Cayman

I am one of the unfortunate travelers scheduled to arrive in Cancun (Moon Palace) in 2 weeks. I don't think that's going to happen - or, I should say, I just want my money back so I can go somewhere else. Although I feel terrible for those who are stuck there, I don't want to add to chaos.

We've never been to the Caymans and are considering rebooking to there. Did Wilma affect the Caymans?

We prefer all-inclusives - any suggestions?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
355 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hurricane Wilma question for Tom Cayman

To needacorona,

If you prefer all-inclusives then Grand Cayman is not the island for you. They don't have those type of resorts there.

Sandy

Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman