We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scooter rental...

St. Louis
2 posts
Save Topic
Scooter rental...

We will be staying in govenor's harbor with a friend, what is the best company to get a scooter to run around the island on?

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,558 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Scooter rental...

Most folks here will suggest that you rent a car, not a scooter.

Problems with scooters: not good in traffic, you will get a major sunburn.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,411 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scooter rental...

GC not the place to rent scooters.

Canada
Level Contributor
414 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scooter rental...

I agree with the above. Car protects you from the element and I wouldn't want to be driving them around the whole island given the lack of respect for them by cars (roads are very busy and also narrow in most places).

If you still want to do it, there is a place in Georgetown that has lots of them (on the waterfront by teh Tortuga Shop) and they cost $40 per day (can't remember the name of the rental place though!).

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,411 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scooter rental...

yes they are about $40/day per person...for much less you can rent a car and be safe!

US Midwest
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scooter rental...

Let me add to the chorus... rent a car. I spent less than $25 per day out the door with tax on my car rental. If you really want to brave a scooter, I suggest you have plenty of medical and life insurance.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scooter rental...

We recently visited Bermuda for the 1st and got to experience the craziness of scooters on small islands. I don't understand how more people are not killed utilizing these things on such small roads with hyper drivers.

Be smart and play it safe. Rent a car, you won't be disappointed.

nyc
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Scooter rental...

Hello to all.

I’ve been to Bermuda, and zipping around the island on a scooter was pretty much the best part of the vacation. .. And oh yes, it was in the open air, in the sun, and in local traffic - that was actually the point of going there, seeing something new, and taking a break from sitting in the office all day. We had the freedom to go to every corner of the island, with the tourists or with the locals. Going to Grand Cayman soon, and looking forward to do the same thing even though scooters seem to cost little more.

It’s true, some little experience is needed, or you should take it very easy at first. After that, if you’re afraid of the sun and local atmosphere, then instead of going there, you should think about doing on the most gratifying things there is which is going to your local shopping malls; but go only during daylight and only to the big ones with plenty of mall security guards because those guys are some of the best trained and very committed.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,790 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scooter rental...

In Bermuda very few tourists rent cars, they all rent scooters. In Grand Cayman most tourists rent cars, few rent scooters, except for some of the cruisers who rent during the mid section of the day when traffic is very light. It is all relative. Grand Cayman is not a good place to rent scooters not because of local drivers who are very polite and used to driving left hand drive and in a British traffic situation complete with roundabouts etc. The tourists in cars in GC are not so forgiving and there are many many more of them in cars. Even few of the locals in GC use vespas, scooters or cars. There is a reason why the people who are familiar with GC (and some other islands too) recommend not have a scooter in GC! My answer is based on experience (I had a scooter in Bermuda too)!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,411 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scooter rental...

In Bermuda a visitor is not permitted to rent a car...or at least that always used to be the case.

And residents used to be limited to owning just one car per family. So while Bermuda is quite tiny, the driving and traffic situations are nothing like what is experienced on Grand Cayman.

Have been to Bermuda more times than I can count, but not in the past several years. Last time there we were ready to rent a "scooter" but unlike "the old days" the current "scooters" are more like motorcycles whereas they used to be mopeds. Did not take long for me to decide not to rent one after doing a "test drive."

Columbus, Indiana
Level Contributor
192 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scooter rental...

Moominite - don't quite understand how being in a car instead of a scooter would give you less local experience but that's your opinion. Locals don't drive scooters. People have told you what they think - if you've never been to Cayman, don't discount what they've told you. I've been with local drivers who, sorry to say, dona't give scooters the proper respect. And I've known people - experienced - who have had serious accidents with them. If you rent one, good luck to you. And come back and tell us how you got along!