We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for the budget minded... (car, food etc..)

toronto
Level Contributor
260 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Tips for the budget minded... (car, food etc..)

A young couple on a budget will staying at 7 mile beach for 7 days in early october and would like some following tips.

1) Is it worth to get a rental car? are there many secluded beaches I could drive to myself? becuause under "things to do" in GCM, the main attractions I see are Limerock, blowing hole, turtle farm and stingray city, could I get to these places without a car?

2) Is food expensive of GCM? should I just upgrade to a room with a kitchenette if I'm worried about high food prices?

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,811 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips for the budget minded... (car, food etc..)

It is worth it to get a car at least for a few days (you don't mention where along SMB you are staying, some areas you need it more than others).

Food is expensive as is the cost of living. You can compare prices at www.fosters-iga.com or caymannewresident.com. Sometimes shopping at Cost-U-Less at Governor's Square is more budget friendly.

Getting a room with a kitchenette would definitely be cost saving (breakfast/lunch/snacks/drinks!) and a major convenience. If you arriving on Sunday keep in mind the stores are closed (open late on Saturday evenings). Definitely the beverage of your choice at the Duty Free before arriving in GC.

Have a lovely trip!

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,530 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips for the budget minded... (car, food etc..)

I definitely agree that having a kitchenette will be a big money-saver as food even in the market is more expensive (everything has to be shipped in) and then you also have to add another 25% for the exchange rate ($1 CI= $1.25 US). While there are some moderatly-priced restaurants (EATS, Chicken Chicken, etc.), eating out 3 meals a day will take a big bite out of yor budget. Being able to have breakfast in, pack a lunch for the beach (only take your own to the public beaches where food is not available - not to Rum Point, Kaibo, etc.) and have snacks and drinks at your leisure will cutr fown on costs. Drinks and even just liquor are very expensive so grabbing some liquor at duty-free at your US departure city is a good idea. Some people have even successfully brought it from home, packing it in their suitcases (can't bring it in your carry-on).

I'd definiitely recommend renting a car, at least for a few days so you can explore. Stingray City is only reachable by boat and Rum Point, the Northside, and the East End would all be way too expensive to reach by taxi. If you're staying in the central SMB area yo uwill be in walking distance of some shops, restauratns, etc. but if you are staying at the north end, you won't be. You can use the mini-buses that run along West Bay Rd but they can get crowded and the schedule is "flexible". Taxis, while readily available, can add up if you have to use them for all of your transporation. Keep in mind that a taxi to & from the airport will run about $25-30 each way, depending on where you are staying so that money could be applied to a rental car. There are some firms (Avis, Andy's) that will allow you to pickup the car at the airport and return it to their SMB location or vice versa if you only want to rent for part of the week.

3. Re: Tips for the budget minded... (car, food etc..)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:22 am, October 08, 2009