We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel between Grand Cayman Island and Cuba

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
210 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Travel between Grand Cayman Island and Cuba

Has anyone ever travelled between these two destinations? A friend of mine stated that he flew roundtrip from Grand Cayman to Cuba. He also stated that there are boats for hire that travel between the two. Is this a safe trip? Please advise.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,790 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel between Grand Cayman Island and Cuba

Never heard of boat trips. People do fly regularly between Grand Cayman and Cuba. Cayman Airways flies. I am not sure what you mean by a "safe" trip. Citizens of the U.S. are the group that has a problem with Cuba. Europeans, Canadians, etc., travel on holiday to Cuba all the time. We were supposed to go on our last trip, but something came up. Looking forward to doing it in the future. You can make arrangements with a travel agency in GC -- Americans do it regularly. You can also learn about Cuba on that forum. Hope this helps.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
210 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel between Grand Cayman Island and Cuba

Retrip, thanks for the info. I heard from someone that since the U.S. has issues with Cuba, it's not a good idea to travel to Cuba.

Canada
Level Contributor
414 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel between Grand Cayman Island and Cuba

as far as I know (and I'm not american), it's illegal for americans to travel to Cuba. The travel agencies here advertise round trip airfare + 2 nights in a hotel for $400 and they also mention that they can arrange it so that US citizen's passports don't get stamped when entering/exiting cuba. Not sure that that arrangement makes it more legit but it is available. As for safety in Cuba, if that's what you mean, Cuba, when I went there, was pretty safe and likely no one will know you are american, canadian etc... if you are worried about that.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel between Grand Cayman Island and Cuba

It is illegal for US Citizens to travel to Cuba, but lots do it via third countries. Cuba does not stamp your passport so it is difficult for US immigration to know you have been there.

Go to the Lonely Planet forum on Cuba for good information. Lots of US citizens discussing this issue.

As for safety, Cuba, even Havana is one of the safest cities in the world. Crime does occur, but it is very rare compared to Europe or US. The people are very friendly and a day in Havana is a really worthwhile experience. It is a World Heritage Centre.

If you are seriously interested drop me a message and I can point you in the direction of a very reliable guide in Havana, who will make any arrangements you need.

My family and I were in Cuba last July and had a great vacation and while we are in Grand Cayman this year I may hop over to Havana for the day, while my wife and son dive.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
210 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel between Grand Cayman Island and Cuba

Thanks Tim. I will call upon you for expert advice. I am planning this trip somewhere between February and March of 2009. I have absolutely too much going on this year to go.

lor280
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel between Grand Cayman Island and Cuba

heavvydcleveland,

I'm wondering what progress you've made on your planning. I'm also planning to go from cayman. Either end of march or last week of year this year. I've just started researching and am not sure how much time to even spend. Was originally planning 1 week. Curious what your itinerary was going to be. Thanks.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
210 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel between Grand Cayman Island and Cuba

Tim, can you give me the contact info of the guide in Cuba. I have finally gotten my trip together and am leaving 2/8 for Grand Cayman for 1 week.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,828 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel between Grand Cayman Island and Cuba

Just remember, you cannot use any charge cards, atm cards, etc in Cuba.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,790 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel between Grand Cayman Island and Cuba

You also should not bring laptop, blackberry, etc. It is very easy to arrange the trip in the Cayman Islands!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,790 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel between Grand Cayman Island and Cuba

In addition instead of leaving your guide etc a cash tip, it is nice to bring vitamins, aspirin, school supplies or any of the many items not readily available.

Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman