We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cayman Islands vs Turks and Caicos

Upton, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cayman Islands vs Turks and Caicos

What are the similarities/differences of the Cayman Islands and the Turk and Caicos? Is the landscape more tropical in the Caymans?

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cayman Islands vs Turks and Caicos

happyhope,

I do not know but a friend of mine has been to both and she prefers Grand Cayman.......check teh Turk and Caicos forum here also.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
840 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cayman Islands vs Turks and Caicos

I have been to T&C and going to GC in April. T&C seems like it has fewer restaurants. No real downtown area. Grace bay was nice but many parts of provo had a lot of garbage and grafiti.

GC seems to have more to do. It sounds a lot cleaner and has more shopping.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cayman Islands vs Turks and Caicos

Been a few years since we were in TC but would say that costs are about the same as GC. Definitely not as much to do nor the choice of restaurants. As another poster indicated, there's no real downtown, just scattered shopping areas. Had a modern supermarket near Grace Bay. Some fancy condos and hotels and smaller accommodations but not the number or size of GC (although that could have changed in the last few years). Didn't have any safety issues or anything. Can't recall about trash, etc. Drive on the left in both islands, if that's a concern. Nice place for a very low-key, quiet vacation.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,831 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cayman Islands vs Turks and Caicos

Grace bay beach and 7 mile beach are both beautiful, but my vote goes to Grand Cayman. There is more to do and the food is better. Prices are similar (both expensive).

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,740 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cayman Islands vs Turks and Caicos

GC and Provo are quite similar in my mind. Both are flat and scrubby and rather arid, perhaps GC is a little more lush. Both have that British colonial feel to the architecture. Drive on the left. Downtown GC has a multistory parking garage, if you can believe that. Provo has a lot of construction going on along grace bay, while GC is pretty well built out. GC feels more prosperous, while Provo is a bit more trashed outside the immediate resort area. GC has much better diving and snorkeling. There are other islands in T&C that I haven't explored that might be more appealing. One thing that Provo has that GC lacks is an excellent Club Med. What a fun place!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cayman Islands vs Turks and Caicos

Much more to do on Grand Cayman -- restaurants, shops, sites. And the snorkeling is much, much better in the Cayman Islands. Bloody Bay wall off Little Cayman Island is one of the best places in the Caribbean.

Both the Caymans and the T&C are flat islands, as opposed to the Virgins, for example, so you don't get that same lush, tropical feeling that you have in the Virgins.

Grand Cayman also has Sting Ray City, which can get touristy, but is a fun activity to swim with the rays.

If you want lush vegetation, flowers, beaches fringed with seagrapes and palms, you might consider the US or British Virgins or St. Lucia.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cayman Islands vs Turks and Caicos

Also consider WHEN you go. Both T&C and the Caymans can have cooler water in the winter than the islands further south in the Caribbean.

8. Re: Cayman Islands vs Turks and Caicos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, September 21, 2009