We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourism since 11/20/04?

IL
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Tourism since 11/20/04?

Has anyone heard how its been going since Tourism re-opened on 11/20? Steve

Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourism since 11/20/04?

So far so good...

There have been some complaints about the midnight cerfew, but that is supposed to be lifted next week.

There have been over 100,000 cruise ship passengers and about 1,000 overnight visitors here since the hurricane. Everything is operating pretty much as ususal, albeit on a much smaller scale.

Regards,

Joe Stebbins

Editor,

Cayman Activity Guide

Cayman Activity Guide Online

www.caymanactivityguide.com

Milford, DE
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourism since 11/20/04?

Hi skhori!

I can't say from the perspective of a Caymanian, I was one of those tourists on the 20th!

Me, my husband and our three children spent the week on Grand Cayman, and had (as usual) a wonderful time. We were lucky enough to secure lodging AND a coveted rental car! We happened to call the island the night before and a kind person told us that Avis had just gotten a shipment of cars in! Our vehicle had only ten miles on it! We visited all of our favorite places. The residents have done a wonderful job of cleaning up some of those treasured sites such as Smith's Cove. We made the drive out to Rum Point on Friday. There wasn't a soul there, but the place looks really great. It actually has about twice as much sand as it had before. The dock needs to be repaired of course.. You know, certainly, you can tell the Island has been hit by a devastating hurricane, but people GET BY. Stores were open. They used calculators instead of registers. Dive shops were open. We spent a large fortune on diving!

As I was sitting by the pool at our resort, I overheard a little lady talking with one of the housekeepers. She said how she really missed coffee since her power was still out. This housekeeper was telling her that they had hot coffee every day at the resort. I just started thinking about how spoiled we are in America. Would I go for 11 weeks without electricity? Without complaining? Would I patiently wait for roofing shingles because Florida needed them too? These people are like that. We ate lunch at the Hungry Horse before our flight out. Since the AC was still out, they had moved all of the tables outside. It was very festive, and people seemed to be enjoying themselves. I was amazed at how people seemed to be working non-stop to rebuild. Each day, you could see more had been done.

I pray that God continues to sustain and rebuild this wonderful, wonderful place.

Toronto
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourism since 11/20/04?

God has nothing to do with fixing Cayman Islands. The people do. It's their blood sweat and tears going into the restoration from the hurricane.

Milford, DE
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourism since 11/20/04?

Hi Cindyannie,

Why do you object to my prayer? Are you angry with God?

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tourism since 11/20/04?

Hi K8reader:

Where did you stay? We're booked for GC Jan 23rd at the Westin for 3 nights and then at the Courtyard for 11 nights. We were booked at the Sunshine Suites and that got bumped, we moved on to the Comfort Suites and that got bumped. Expedia needs to keep their site updated on a daily basis as there seems to be a lot of confusion over which places are up and running and have PASSED inspection by the Cayman Tourist Board. The CTB seems to have the only reliable information. I called them personally and spoke to Cassandra and she gave me a list of Hotels open for business. I guess we'll see when we land. It's our 9th trip to the Island and in as many years. We've enjoyed every trip and want to support the locals there and help the economy recover ... To all the Caymanians Our prayers are with you as you re-build your wonderful Island !

Milford, DE
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tourism since 11/20/04?

Hi danny!

We ended up at the Cobalt Coast Resort. It sounds as if you are experiencing the same ups and downs I did! First we lost our housing (TI Condo), then we got it back. Then we lost our flight, then I booked another. Then I lost my housing, then my flight again. Divetech's web site was one of the ones that had information updated frequently, so I knew that Cobalt Coast was approved. The CI Tourism site or maybe it was gov.ky had info about the Westin and the Marriott (courtyard, I think) being approved for guests. Since we were traveling with children, I REALLY wanted to avoid hotel rooms. I called Arie at CC (Toll free) and it turns out he has these little two bedroom cottages, called garden suites, as well as two bedroom suites. We booked a garden suite because it has a full kitchen. We just loved it!

I can tell you for sure that the Westin, Cobalt Coast and the Marriott were all open. We went to both the public beach across from the Marriott, and the public beach beside the Governor's house (next to the Westin). The Marriott was packed with cars in the lot, and plenty of people on the beach. The Westin wasn't as busy, but there seemed to be some kind of party or something (perhaps outdoor dining) with big tents and tables with balloons and people eating. I did notice that the Comfort Suites had scaffolding up, but I can't say about the Sunshine Suites. I personally love the beach in front of the Westin. The nice little coral heads in front did get a sand dusting from the storm! This was our fifth trip. I don't know about you, but GC feels like my home. I just love everything about Cayman. But, you are right, this trip (for us too) was about supporting the people. Because, without the nature of the people, Cayman would be just like any other Caribbean Island. I'm glad to join you in prayer that God will continue to sustain and strengthen these dear people. I hope that you have a wonderful trip (I know you will).

Toronto
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tourism since 11/20/04?

I do not object to your prayer and no I am not angry at God.