We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stingray City injuries?

philadelphia
Level Contributor
840 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Stingray City injuries?

How common are injuries at Stingray City? Do they remove the barbs/stingers of the stingrays? Wanna check it out but leery of any potential harm....

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stingray City injuries?

Injuries at Stingray City are rare. When they do happen, it's usually because someone has stepped on a ray. If you do the "stingray shuffle" and slide your feet as you move, you won't have any problems.

Remove the stingers? Of course not; they're wild animals.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,811 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stingray City injuries?

The chances of getting stuck by a ray at Stingray City are much less than you getting hurt in your own home. Hundreds of thousands of visitors enjoy the rays years with no "barb" interaction. Judging by the way you phrased your question, it sounds as though you are not totally comfortable around wildlife. If that is the case, you might find being surrounded by the creatures a bit daunting. Check out sites like stingraycity.org, and stay-focused.org (a charity that certififies paralysed divers who's first dive is with the rays). Hopefully it will put your mind at ease. You can also google stingray / guy harvey and find out how much damage humans are doing!

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stingray City injuries?

They are wonderful and awe-inspiring creatures. They are wild creatures so no sudden moves and let them know you're in the area by shuffling your feet. A trip to SRC is a lifetime memory. Don't be scared and keep an open mind when they approach you. My wife was scared silly but even she ventured out and about amongst them...she did cling to my arm the whole time. :>/

The idea of a wild creature being mutilated to render them harmless is unthinkable...might as well just kill them because with their defenses they'll die anyway.

Go and have fun!!!

philadelphia
Level Contributor
840 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stingray City injuries?

Thanks, all, for the encouraging words and info! :) I really did not mean to come across as a cold-hearted animal mutilator....:( Somewhere on my travels I'd heard that in public stingray-viewing areas, they sometimes remove the barbs. I suppose that is a myth. So please excuse my ignorance on the subject. I look forward to the adventure! Will let you know how I do (and if i live through it! Ha!) just kidding. I'm sure I'll do fine. Thanks again!!! Will keep you all posted...

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,739 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stingray City injuries?

You will love swimming with the stingrays........I was a little leary at first but it was great....they feel like velvet, which surprised me. And you have to kiss one.......brings you 7 years of good luck.

We went with Captain Marvin's and also hit the reef and coral gardens. They do videos and we did buy one......to us it is priceless. Enjoy.

Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stingray City injuries?

Beachlover, having been a victim of a stingray barb when I was surffishing when I was 7 years old, I was apprehensive about my visit this past weekend but have to tell you it was one of the most awesome experiences you will have. Hard not to want to get out of the way when a 3 - 4' ray comes right up to you; but you soon realize they are most docile.

As other poster said, key is to do the stingray shuffle and keep your feet on the bottom and shuffle your feet instead of picking them up and risking stepping on one. Was told that if you were to be barbed, they would cut the barb off the ray and take you to local hospital to be treated. But the chances of that happening are less than being struck by lightning.

So enjoy, you will never forget it!

South Carolina
Level Contributor
81 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stingray City injuries?

You'll love it, and Captain Marvin's is a great trip! If you're worried about stingrays, wait til they encourage you to pet the nurse shark....

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,739 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stingray City injuries?

We used Captain Marvin's and there was no nurse shark that we saw.....

philadelphia
Level Contributor
840 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stingray City injuries?

ha! you guys are so funny! thanks for all the info! i'm really looking forward to it now :) :)

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,739 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stingray City injuries?

beachlover,

Like I said, they do a video......you can review it on the boat and then if you purchase it, they deliver it to your hotel.