We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bodden Town and Hurricane damage/Construction

United States
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Bodden Town and Hurricane damage/Construction

I have been reading a few reviews lately about the Turtle Nest Inn/Bodden Town area. They have mentioned that alot of construction is going on in the area and that there is alot of road noise/traffic. In addition that there was still alot of Hurricane Ivan damage in that area that had never been cleaned up.

I was wondering if anyone had stayed in that area recently and could comment on this?

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
62 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bodden Town and Hurricane damage/Construction

I'm going there next month and would like to know this myself...

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,802 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bodden Town and Hurricane damage/Construction

Reports of hurricane damage still remaining are greatly overstated. There has been alot of new construction which in some instances came about because of Ivan. Some of the more outlaying areas did take longer for repairs than the SMB area which with the exception of the main Hyatt that never reopened since Ivan (insurance squabbles, new road construction on their front door etc.) is well past Ivan related construction. We have been going to GC for many years and like most tropical locales, buildings are replaced regularly -- the RC construction took years! Many people who visited post Ivan, believe everything they see is a result of the storm. The main road does get busy especially during rush hour as people need to get to and from work. You are blissfully unaware of it on the beach. The traffic is nothing compared to what we experienced throughout the day in St. Thomas -- everything is relative. Good luck!

George Town, Grand...
Level Contributor
763 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bodden Town and Hurricane damage/Construction

With the greatest of respect, Retrip is a 7MB person and so their answer, whilst accurate for 7MB, is not directly relevant to Bodden Town.

Bodden Town high street still shows much devastation from Hurricane Ivan, with many buildings still derelict.

There is not much construction going on in Bodden Town, but as there is a LOT of construction going on in Cayman, and with the quarries being beyond Bodden Town, there are a lot of heavy trucks going back and forth carrying rock.

Now, even before Hurricane Ivan the area was very quiet, lots of older houses and limited tourist amenities, and there were a fair number of quarry trucks going past, so it really hasn't changed much.

Turtle Nest Inn is a highly regarded place with many fans, both before and after Ivan.

If you have concerns, I'd suggest you email them directly and I am sure they will give you fair and honest answers.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,429 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bodden Town and Hurricane damage/Construction

I am also a SMB person, but drove thru Bodden Town last month en route to Rum Point. Tom is right in that there are houses there still showing Ivan damage, but overall that part of the island has always retained an entire different feeling than SMB. Turtle's Nest Inn is in fine shape and your time there will not be compromised by anything Ivan related:)

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,557 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bodden Town and Hurricane damage/Construction

I am not a SMB person, and have been to Bodden Town (on my way to and from North Side) many times since Ivan.

You must understand that most of Bodden Town is inhabited by Caymanians, and most Caymanians cannot afford the high premiums for insurance. So the rebuilding has taken much longer there than in the tourist areas.

I read the review you talked about, and think it was pretty harsh. Every visitor has a right to an opinion, but, given the number of positive reviews, maybe you need to take this one review with a grain of salt.

Given what the island looked like right after Ivan, even Bodden Town has made great strides.

Enjoy!

Sue

United States
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bodden Town and Hurricane damage/Construction

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,429 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bodden Town and Hurricane damage/Construction

Well, I certainly hope you enjoy a lovely stay! Each part of the island has its own ambiance and, depending on what you are looking for and are willing/able to pay to vacation there, having done your homework on the pluses and minuses to each area, once you arrive and settle in will find GC one of the best places to be! Do rent a car and travel to various areas to see what's what and be able to weigh for yourself what area you find best meets your wish list for your next trip to this lovely place!

South Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bodden Town and Hurricane damage/Construction

I am the person who wrote the review I believe prompted you to write this post.

I must mention, that report is from April 2006. I had posted it before but because I missed an email asking to verify that I was the poster, it was removed. Trip Advisor staff was good enough to dig it out and let me repost it!

Let me just set the record straight - the TNI is a very clean, small Inn. I stated that. For the price we paid, the value was fair. I cannot get past the fact that I believe there is some false/not up to date advertising involved. I was expecting an idyllic tropical setting and that is not what I found. It is extremely noisy, there are not any tropical plants or flowers and the beach was abysmal. It absolutely pales in comparison to other stunning beaches found in Grand Cayman. How frustrating it was every single day, to have to get in a rental car, sit in traffic for 20 mins to a half hour, and drive to restaurants and beaches or even just somewhere to feel comfortable to go for a stroll. Just getting out of the parking lot at TNI is a heart attack with cars and huge trucks whizzing by. Is a holiday about driving around in a rental car stuck in traffic? No. I cannot imagine staying at TNI without a rental car. Sometimes you just want to come back from a day at the beach or sight seeing, shower, put on some nice clothes and wander out your door to dinner and drinks. You just cannot do that at the TNI.

I have been back to the island since and stand behind my review 100%. For the people who have stayed there - I am sure they will agree with my observations. It was not my intent to be harsh but I have to admit I was very disappointed when I arrived at the Inn. I felt like I was dropped in the middle of a mess, in the middle of nowhere. It is so frustrating to read 5* report after report about the Inn that are only a couple of lines. If you go to other resorts people are posting detailed accounts of their travels. It doesn't happen for TNI. Why? Because the Innkeepers know who everyone is. There are 8 rooms at this property. They send you an email when you get home ASKING you to post a review! And the guest comments posted on their website? They hand you a book as you are checking out to sign while they are standing there!

I understand and am sympathetic to the local Caymanians who lost everything in Ivan. I understand that many local residents cannot afford the sky high insurance and that the cost of living in Cayman is very very high. My heart aches for their situation. But one only has to pick up the local Cayman Net News or Compass to hear how the island has taken a downward spiral since the hurricane with regard to crime. There is some apathy in Boddentown and it shows.

Again, I am only reporting my feelings about staying in Boddentown. In the evenings and during the day, I was a little bit uncomfortable. I had my travel smarts about me but the Inn is just so off the beaten track. I didn't feel as though I could take a walk along the beach at night. I would not want to walk along that beach at night truthfully because there is so much flotsam and jetsam along the beach.

I hope you all will understand that this is my opinion only.

Happy Travels!

NJ
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Bodden Town and Hurricane damage/Construction

Although we didn't stay at TNI, I can certainly understand Bailey's review. We drove by TNI a couple times on way to Rum Point. It's important to realize the Inn is almost directly on the main road, so certainly must be rather noisy. It's also set in an area that is far from "tropical looking". Doesn't appear to have much of a beach, but didn't have a good view from the road.

The Inn itself may be wonderful, but it seems like an "island" amongst a setting that is quite different than the Inn (or what some might consider a vacation setting).

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
62 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bodden Town and Hurricane damage/Construction

Hm. I read the reviews here and it looks to me like a bargain-priced inn, away from piles of tourists, that offers a sliver of beach, fairly personal service if you want it and some decent snorkeling.

I think the harsh review is considerably more illustrative of the reviewer than of the inn, but the overall glowing terms of many other reviews also make me go, 'hmmm.' Anyway, I'm going there soon and can decide for myself, but my BS alarms are pretty well-developed and I do suspect this place will meet the fairly reasonable expectations I've placed on it.