We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NonSeafood Restaurant

Michigan
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
NonSeafood Restaurant

We are going to Grand Cayman in late May. My kids and I don't eat any seafood (hubby does). Is there a nice waterfront place that is close to the Ritz where we can celebrate my 40th b-day (not overly expensive) ?

Also, we applied for passports on 2/14, but we still haven't gotten them. We are leaving on 5/20, so I am starting to get worried. It'll be 10 weeks any day now. I don't think they'll do anything until it gets closer, though (as far as expediting) . The website says they are being processed. Any thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,727 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NonSeafood Restaurant

We travel atleast every couple of months so carefully monitor passport expiration dates so we can make sure they are ready when we need them. I always use the expedite service and any other means to speed them up (in the old days I used to go to Stamford, CT in person with the kids). I will say that we have never received them after the dates suggested, but there is a huge rush now with the laws changing about birth certificates with raised seals. I didn't know you could expedite after submitting for regular processing. Just to be safe, I would try to act now. Good luck on that front. In terms of restaurants actually on the waterfront near the Ritz, Hemingways at the Hyatt is about it. We have had both totally delightful meals there and a couple of disappointments-- fantastic setting. (In the past we didn't rate it at all -- but it has changed managers). Across the street from the Hyatt is Deckers which has really done an amazing job changing from a bar to a lovely restaurant post Ivan. I think it is great value for the money. Cafe Med and Ragazzi are two other choices. Ragazzi is billed as pizza, but has much more. For a special night I would go with Cafe Med. Congratulations.

Mentioned in this post
Hemingway's
Hemingway's
536 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,329 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NonSeafood Restaurant

Copper Falls in the Strand Sopping Plaza will delight you all!

Mentioned in this post
Copper Falls Steakhouse
Copper Falls Steakhouse
1,227 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Texas
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NonSeafood Restaurant

Our passports arrived in EXACTLY 10 weeks (applied on 2/7 and got them last week). They will not do anything over the phone until you are within 14 days of your trip. But I wouldn't worry, I bet you receive them this week. Oh yeah, the website did not have any kind of update on our passports when we tracked them online, they just showed up in the mail one day (even though the site stated they were still being processed).

Michigan
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NonSeafood Restaurant

Thanks, J'sMom! Hopefully, ours will arrive next week then, if you got your in exactly 10 weeks. I really don't want to have to spend anymore money on passports.

Morton, IL
Level Contributor
935 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: NonSeafood Restaurant

Just a 5-10 minute cab away from the Ritz is Casanova which we thoroughly enjoyed last week. It's right on the water down in Georgetown and is an Italian restaurant that has great food and atmosphere. A group of 6 of us had dinner on the covered deck and watched a beautiful sunset. The service was oustanding, very attentive but fun and I didn't think the prices were out of line. I loved their marinara sauce! I was just looking in one of my magazines I brought back with me, and their ad says they are kid friendly and also have a children's menu (wasn't sure how old your kids are).

They recently reopened after being closed for 2 1/2 years after Ivan came through and they seem to be quite popular. Their website doesn't look like it's been updated since the remodeling, but the menu is probably the same. Check out www.casanova dot ky for their menu and prices. The photos are the old ones I think as they don't do the place justice at all. We stayed at the Ritz and took a cab to and from there, @ $12 each way but really worth it. We called for reservations right before we left the hotel and we were able to get an outside table, but you might want to call earlier since you'll be celebrating your special day.

Have a great trip and a happy birthday!

Mentioned in this post
Casanova by the Sea
Casanova by the Sea
2,263 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: NonSeafood Restaurant

I think you couldn't go wrong with any of the suggestions. I would try Deckers if I were you. It's really a cute place and just has great food. They have a wide variety of selections. There will be meat and pasta for you and the kids and seafood for your husband. We have always had great dinners there.

Michigan
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NonSeafood Restaurant

Corona-Girl- Thanks for the suggestion of Casanova's. My husband and I were looking at the Grand Cayman restaurants website last night, and that was one that we were planning on going to. Since you were just there and saw it first hand, we will take your advice and go. How much was the cab fare to get there? Should we make reservations?

What was your experience like at the Ritz? We are staying in the rooms across the street (garden view), but I think it will still be nice. We've never stayed at a Ritz before, but Expedia had a great deal. Hopefully we won't get the room with a terrible view of concrete poles like someone recently had when they booked through Expedia. Will we still get charged the extra fee the Ritz charges for their perks (snorkeling gear, kayaks, spa sauna/whirlpool, etc.)? Or would that be included when we paid the package price from Expedia?

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Morton, IL
Level Contributor
935 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: NonSeafood Restaurant

Well you'll have a great time at the Ritz! This was our 3rd stay at a Ritz and after staying at a couple, you start to get used to being so spoiled!! Last year we stayed at the one in Montego Bay, another beautiful property but without the awesome beach of Grand Cayman.

I think the cab to Casanova's was $12, but it depends on how many are in the cab. Seems like it starts out a one price for 1-3 persons and each additional person is another couple of dollars. Some drivers might be a little more and some a little less, just depended on the driver you get. But we always asked before we got in. I was amazed at their honesty though because sometimes I gave them too much (getting confused with the conversion etc), and they would give some back saying, oh no, that's too much. That really impressed me about the Cayman people. They are just so nice.

Anyway, back to the resort. Our room was also on the "other" side, the lagoon side they call it. I think our room might be classified as Resort view as it faced the lagoon swimming pool, Periwinkles the outdoor part of Blue. The rooms across the hall from us might have been garden view, and they looked out over a lawn and then a parking lot. When you check in, ask if you can face the pool. We were on the fourth floor, room 441, but one a couple doors down would be even better because we were in the corner. Still a very pretty view. Friends of ours were on the 1st floor and they were able to walk off of their patio and right over to the pool. I would love to have had one of those rooms so you could just go back and forth to the room from the pool.

Not sure about the extra charge you mentioned, but on our bill there was a resort fee (is that it?) and room tax listed separately from the room charge. We were lucky enough to be on an awards trip with 4 nights paid for, but since we stayed an extra 3 nights, that was on us. It's a beautiful hotel and everyone is so nice, always saying "my pleasure" and going the extra mile for you. A few times I asked how to get somewhere, and instead of just telling me or pointing in the direction, they would walk me over to where I was trying to go. Even from one side of the hotel to the other side, it just didn't matter how far it was. After a day or so, I was able to find my way around easily and the walk to the beach wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, maybe 5 minutes?

I'll be happy to answer any more questions, just let me know. And if you'd like to see pictures, I can e-mail them to you if you'd like to give me your email address.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
NJ
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: NonSeafood Restaurant

The Reef Grill is right on the beach not far from the Ritz. Very full menu, so everyone should be able to find something. They don't have a kids menu, but do have kids food (chicken fingers, pasta). Just ask for it. Great service, and prices not bad, especially compared to other restaurants of far lower quality.

Upstairs seating overlooking beach a great option for a special event. Get there shortly before sunset for a great view. Also a pretty low key, carib band that starts at around 8. We have two young daughters (2 and 6), and dancing to the band was a great way to end the evening for them.

Great Midwest
Level Contributor
1 post
376 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NonSeafood Restaurant

Hello Msgoyette,

I am a fellow Michigander also. We just returned from our annual Cayman trip and you picked the right time to go with slow season rates and many people. Congrats on the upcoming 40th. When you got off the plane and waiting to go through customs stop at the visitor booth and grab all the free tourist books with coupons and such and get the one that says "Cayman Dining" or something. I have little ones too so I can give you the low down on eateries depending on how much you want to spend. I know that with little ones when they say mama im hungry they want food faster than a pregnant women. I eat at these places twice a year sometimes since 1993 so I know them well. Obviously depending on what you type of food you want will ultimately be your choice. Also the dress code for fine dinging in Cayman is beach casual. Khaki shorts and a polo shirt will get you in any place on Cayman including the Ritz. I cant really think of anything close to the Ritz with what your looking for though. OK restuarants. Casanova Italiana: Closer to fine dining than a sports bar with a terrace that has on the sea dinging. Very classy, outstanding and greatest place on the island for Italian food and it is far better than Eduoardos or Neptunes. Need reservations Fri-Sat. Can be just a little pricey though. My wife and I along with our 3 year old the tab was $120.00 US including tip with no alcohol and my wife and I shared a veal dinner with 2 apps. and a huge pasta dish for the little guy. Coconut Joes: A great outdoor sports bar type not on the sea with a great variety of usual American food and great breakfast too with moderate prices that kids seems to love. Sunshine Suites Restuarant: An indoor sports bar type place not on the beach with moderate prices and a mix of American dishes, fish dishes, and local flavors. My wifes fav spot actually for fresh fish. Reef Bar and Grille: During the day it is a beach side place right on the beach great for lunch with burgers, pizza ect ect but at night it transforms into fine dinging with fine dining prices but not the fine dining quality. Great for lunch, not for dinner. Lonestar: A Texas style sports bar with fajitas and such not on the beach with moderate prices. Some like it but we have never been impressed with this one so far. Eats Diner: May be the best choice because you can walk there and then go through the Westin and walk along the beach back to the Ritz. Right across the street from the Westin and very close to the Ritz this American diner type place has it all with an extensive menu and be just the ticket. Good food, moderatley priced, with something for all and great breakfast too. More of an open causal diner during the day but at night they dim the lights and try to be more along the fine dining side with a night club and cigar bar next door but food/prices stay the same. Copper Canyon Steak House: Close to the Ritz and is an upscale steak house im told but never been. Comfort Suites: Tuesday or Wednesday is Luau night with all you can eat buffet with a small show and half price for kids. We never been because we dont prefer buffets but it seems poular. Deckers: Tuesday is the ever popular all you can eat lobster night. This place leans twords fine dining with seafood and steaks with moderate to higher prices and I must admit the two times we tried it was terrible. The lobster is warm water non fresh Carribean Lobster tails which are normally good but here they taste like white warm rubber with a fishy taste. The waitress told us they buy pickled lobster tails in a bucket and I have no reason to doubt her so dont fall for this event. Now downtown Georgetown (5 min cab ride) has the Hard Rock Cafe, Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville and we like the HR. There is also a couple of outdoor sportsbar type places right on the sea with out door dinging in downtown but we never been to them. One is right next door to Casanova and the other is across from the HR by the Edon Rock Dive Shop and a lot of locals hang there. One quick note that is often missed is that in downtown across from Casanova there is an English Bakery that has outstanding (and cheap) breakfast and pasteries along with light sandwhiches and bread that is incredible. Dont go on crusie ship days though you will not get in. FINALLY, under NO circumstances do not miss the buffet dinner at the Ritz on Thursday nights poolside. A causual/fine dinging buffet that is a higher priced but excellent. If this fits the day of your birthday this is thee choice with no doubts look no further. Normally we run from buffets here it is Ritz style. Right at the pool and a 20 second walk to the sea the food is great and service wonderful. Hope my rattling on helps and if you need more info before or while you are on the island just email me if you need more info on dive shops and such. My 2nd home is Cayman and I am commited to making everyones Cayman vacation awesome with all my experience that no one showed me. Regards, (caymankid) member name.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Casanova by the Sea
Casanova by the Sea
2,263 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Sunshine Suites Resort
Sunshine Suites Resort
1,931 Reviews
Grand Cayman