We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants and groceries

MD
Level Contributor
123 posts
49 reviews
Restaurants and groceries

My DH and I will be staying at the SeaLodges for a week in late April to relax, snorkel and enjoy the cuisine. It has been nearly 20 years since we were in the Grand Cayman, but we have fond memories of the people, the snorkeling and the food.

Our first stop will be at Foster's by the airport to pick up groceries and food to go. Do they still have great pastries (chocolate éclairs/Long Johns) patties and Jerk or should we stop somewhere else on the way to Rum Point? Does the Foster's by the airport have the best selection or is the Countryside one just as good for basics and prepared food?

We want to eat out at least once a day, but not travel into GT, so here are some places I’ve looked at. We love Jerk chicken, curries, Jamaican patties and Caribbean food in general. We’ll probably do carry out for most meals. Any other suggestions, preferences, or places I’ve skipped? They are listed in no particular order. Does each one have a specialty? So many places to choose from and so little time;)

BODDEN TOWN

Grape Tree Cafe and Seaside Paradise

Rankins Jerk Chicken

OLD MAN BAY

Kurt's Korner

Over the Edge

EAST END

Captain Herman's fish fry

Big Tree BBQ

Eagle Ray's Bar & Grill

Tukka

While at the airport waiting for the return flight, is the Hungry Horse or the Runaway Bar a good place to get Jamaican patties? Thanks for the tip TravellingBritNY!

Thanks for your expertise!

9 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,312 posts
117 reviews
1. Re: Restaurants and groceries

I am not that familiar with the area where you will be staying, but on departure day, you might want to allow time to return the car, check in with your airline, then take the free shuttle to the George Town Yacht Club for great drinks & meal before your flight. Once in the departure lounge, there is only the one snack bar, so eating choices are extremely limited. They do however make a great rum punch. But GTYC also has great drinks and one of the best servings of cracked conch that I’ve had!

Just let them know when you want to be back to the airport, & they’ll arrange it for you.

MD
Level Contributor
123 posts
49 reviews
2. Re: Restaurants and groceries

Our flight leaves on a Saturday at 1:15 and we need to drop off the rental car first, so I figured we'd get to the airport about 9:30ish. Many years ago we missed a flight and I'm never doing that again!! So we'll be sitting in the departure area for quite some time.

The GTYC does get a lot of praise, so we may go there when we arrive on the island. I know we'll be hungry:)

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
7,196 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: Restaurants and groceries

Just me, but 2 hr arrival prior to scheduled departure has worked for us.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,463 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: Restaurants and groceries

The airport renovations are proceeding with recent opening of the departure check in section and expected opening in January of arrivals area. Although completion not slated until late 2018, when you are there late in April, hopefully both arrival and departure experience will be much smoother than it is now. Keep checking as there are likely to be many more posts about the GCM experience to come!

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,151 posts
100 reviews
5. Re: Restaurants and groceries

In terms of restaurants, you also have the Rum Point Club and Kaibo (upstairs and downstairs).

You also might want to consider The Lighthouse in Breakers, and the Czech Inn Grill.

Make sure you check the opening hours of the smaller places, so you're not driving to go to a place that's closed.

Edited: 10:16 am, December 17, 2017
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,264 posts
101 reviews
6. Re: Restaurants and groceries

Almost across from Compass Point Dive Resort in East End is Bombay Chopsticks, obviously a fusion of Indian and Asian. The food is fantastic.

As for groceries, I've only shopped at Countryside the day after my arrival since I seem to manage to arrive on Sundays when everything is closed. The selection suits me. Across from Morritts is a scaled-down Foster's with most things I need, except for roast chicken/prepared foods/deli items. Next to it is a liquor store with a decent selection, so pretty handy.

MD
Level Contributor
123 posts
49 reviews
7. Re: Restaurants and groceries

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll keep checking the airport as the recommended times might decrease once the busy season is over and more of the construction is completed.

TravellingBrit - We've eaten at The Lighthouse and the food was good. I was thinking about the Czech Inn Grill, do you have a favorite dish there? Where are your favorite places to get meat patties outside of GT?

az - Good to know about the other Foster's. I'll add Bombay Chopsticks to our list too, do you have a favorite dish?

Maryland
Level Contributor
213 posts
14 reviews
8. Re: Restaurants and groceries

When we arrived over Thanksgiving we were told by either airport or SWA personnel to be at the airport 3 hours early for international flights when leaving the following week. (We had plenty of extra down time waiting to board the plane.)

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,463 posts
34 reviews
9. Re: Restaurants and groceries

We were on GC late April this year for the first time after many times in March, October, November and it was awesome! Not crazy crowded, glorious weather. Prior to departure we did grab a bite at Hungrey Horse, but that venue is now closed due to ongoing air terminal renovations. Who knows what options at the airport will be in Amarillo, 2018, but can say the GTYC is a great nearby spot....their cracked conch is outstanding!

Reply to: Restaurants and groceries
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted