We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wait in Grand Cayman airport

2 posts
Save Topic
wait in Grand Cayman airport

What can I do to pass time in Airport?

26 replies to this topic
Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
266 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: wait in Grand Cayman airport

There is free wifi, television news broadcast to watch in the dining area,and some duty-free shopping (limited now because of construction).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,245 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wait in Grand Cayman airport

I would bring a book — either on a kindle or a real book. Also, the bar in the departure lounge makes a great rum punch! It’s a great way to use up CI$ (they also take US$) and makes the wait more bearable. 😏

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,090 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wait in Grand Cayman airport

They also have very good Jamaican meat patties so if you either didn't get a chance to try one, or are as addicted as I am, you can get them there.

I agree, bring a book, find a seat somewhere (while sometimes it can get full, I have never ever struggled to find a seat) and relax, listening for announcements. My advice would be not to try to get close to the gates to sit - those are the most crowded areas, presumably because everyone feels they may miss something if they don't...

kansas city
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wait in Grand Cayman airport

Take the free shuttle to George Town yatcht club...5 min ride...great food and service.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,411 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wait in Grand Cayman airport

Good advice already given. Will add, be sure your passports are validated. Have been to GC many, many times and mostly with just carry on luggage plus obtaining boarding passes online prior to departure back to the USA. Last month, upon departure we were detained at boarding gate because passports needed to be revalidated. We were there with plenty of time, simply unaware of this issue so be sure to go to the counter and have that taken care of prior to boarding. If you are checking luggage this will probably happen then, but if not simply go to the departure gate counter and do it there.

1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: wait in Grand Cayman airport

This airport is a joke. Waiting area has no air conditioning, or water fountains. But I guess you can buy 16.9oz bottles of water for $2.50 each. Seating is scattered. Very unorganized.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,228 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wait in Grand Cayman airport

The regular waiting lounge always had air conditioning..maybe this is a temporary situation due to the

construction.

Boston...
Level Contributor
158 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: wait in Grand Cayman airport

Maybe it wasn't working? It was freezing on Tuesday changed into leggings and a sweatshirt - but there wasn't anything other than a very small food counter. No store... they did have free wifi

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,790 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: wait in Grand Cayman airport

Don’t know many places with water fountains amymore. Bottled water cost more in Westchester airport. Heat wasn’t working in the freezimg blast in JFK Terminal One when I went through in January and unless you has access to a lounge there was no place yo sit. Stranded passengers sleeping and trying to stay warm all over. Just part of traveling nowadays.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,518 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: wait in Grand Cayman airport

The current and temporary inconveniences at the GCM airport wouldn't keep me from going, but might keep me from leaving. 😃😃

Reply to: wait in Grand Cayman airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted