We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for a great trip

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Tips for a great trip

Please share any tips that you wish someone had shared with you to make the most of your time, money, memories, and enjoying the best of Grand Catman. Thank you!

25 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,319 posts
117 reviews
1. Re: Tips for a great trip

I suggest reading the FAQs at the top right of the web page.....not on the mobile version. Almost every topic is covered in detail. Please come back if you have further questions after reading the FAQs.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,576 posts
1 review
2. Re: Tips for a great trip

When are you going? Who is in your group? Where are you staying?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Tips for a great trip

March 2018, my husband and I are visiting for the first time. We will be staying at the Holiday Inn and will have a rental car. We are in our 50’s and like to be active. We enjoy snorkeling, boat excursions, driving the islands, happy hours, entertainment, and trying new foods.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,253 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Tips for a great trip

On the top right on a regular computer, be sure to click on Any Good self driving tour advice and also Best diving and snorkeling from shore.---an excellent snorkeling guide from our DE Testudo is included.

kansas city
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Tips for a great trip

A tip I may add...if renting and driving a car...have gps active on your phone or get it with your car. We found it very difficult to get around without it. Once we had it...very easy. The streets are not marked and the round about will drive you crazy. But with gps a breeze.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,319 posts
117 reviews
6. Re: Tips for a great trip

Duuude.......it is not generally a good idea to have gps *active* on your phone unless you have previously downloaded it when connected to WiFi. You should leave your phone in airplane mode....or turn off data & cellular.....or expect HUGE bill from your carrier. Or perhaps add an international plan to your normal service.

I find it very easy to get around by following the roads closest to the coastline anywhere on the island. It’s a small island & difficult to get lost. IMHO. Driving on the left takes a few minutes to adjust....we find it helpful to rent a car with right hand drive so that everything is ‘reversed’. As to street signs, people use landmarks rather than street signs.....turn at the Esso station, Pure Art is on the left after Sunset House, etc etc.

7. Re: Tips for a great trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:51 am, December 06, 2017
Edited: 8:51 am, December 06, 2017

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Tips for a great trip

Although I agree that you shouldn't use the active GPS on your phone because of the expense, I don't agree that the island easy to navigate.

You can download Google Maps in advance but we prefer to bring a Garmin GPS and car charger with us. We turn it off when we don't need it but find it helpful when navigating the roundabouts or negotiating the narrow, angled streets of George Town, or just driving to an unfamiliar location.

It seems to be a personal preference, but we are not the only people that find it challenging to make our way around the island. I've mentioned this before, but I had advised bringing a GPS to GC on another forum that I follow but the OP decided not to do that. After they returned she wrote up a trip report and they had a wonderful time but she included this comment:

“…Downside. I should have taken KathyV's advice and borrowed a GPS for the trip. The combination of driving on the left at intersections, hard to find street signs, tourist map with little detail and my navigation skills has left Eric a nervous wreck. I also strongly recommend anyone avoid the Georgetown area early morning hours or the 5 pm rush hour weekdays. After doing that Thursday I adjusted our plans to miss those travel times…”

So everybody is different, but some folks will appreciate having an electronic navigational aid available.

Edited: 9:42 am, December 06, 2017
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,469 posts
34 reviews
9. Re: Tips for a great trip

When we travel in the USA we always bring the Garmin with us and find it very helpful. For Grand Cayman we do not and have never become lost driving anywhere on the island. I did look up specific directions from SMB to St Pedro’s Castle on the internet last month before going there and was glad to have done so.

kansas city
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Tips for a great trip

We simply added int plan to our our cell plan and it was the best decision....based on making several wrong turns...based on directions that only list street names...not landmarks. To each his own...just sharing a tip I wish someone would have shared with me.

Going up and down SMB no biggie....but going from SMB to the rest of the island...welll worth the expense of gps. Not to mention getting from the airport to SMB after a long day of travel. Just my opinion.

Reply to: Tips for a great trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted