We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott Beach Issues

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Marriott Beach Issues

Hi All, I'm reading and seeing pics of the non-existent beach in front of Marriott. Are there any good options close by (public or otherwhise) where you can go and lay out on a chair and best case scenario, is close to a tiki bar? We didn't plan on getting a car, but really don't want to spend our much anticipated vacation on a pitiful beach! PLEASE advise!!

52 replies to this topic
Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott Beach Issues

You may want to inquire with the hotel management to see if they are still offering to shuttle Marriott guests to the Westin to use the beach there. If not, Royal Palms is not too far a walk up the beach. May be crowded when cruise ships are in port. Hemingway's is another option a little further up the beach. Each would be walkable for me, but YMMV.

Calgary
Level Contributor
6 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott Beach Issues

Yes the beach has been lost this fall but it will eventually return but may take weeks. It's certainly the worst I've seen it (lived here a few years)

I'd just walk 5 minutes north to Royal Palms or another 5 minutes to Hemingway's. They do genetally expect you to buy a beverage or food to use their beach chairs but prices are similar or better than Marriott so shouldnt be a big deal.

Edited: 3:12 pm, December 05, 2017
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,803 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott Beach Issues

It can also come back with one big storm. You definitely have options. If you haven’t already booked you might look at central SMB where there are rarely sand displacement issues.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,431 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott Beach Issues

Definitely ask manager at Marriott about using the beach at the Westin. While Royal Palms has *some* beach, it too was reduced due to storms and in any case it is jam packed when cruise ships are in port. Hemingway’s is a better choice....I believe there is a minimum food/drink purchase amount required to use their pool and beach loungers. Menu is Asian fusion but if that is not to your taste they also have hamburgers. All beaches are public so if you do not require facilities and services you can plunk a towel down anywhere you find a sandy stretch to your liking.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriott Beach Issues

I asked the Westin and they said the resort fee only covers their guests - even though we are Marriott Gold members and will be at the Marriott property. She told me, very nicely, twice the answer was no. :(

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriott Beach Issues

Hemingway’s sounds like a great option! We plan to eat/drink anyway! Do you know how long the walk? Not a major concern, just wondering.

THANK YOU ALL FOR ADVICE!

Osage Beach...
Level Contributor
290 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriott Beach Issues

If you walk the beach, I would guess it at 20 minutes. On the road it's probably 15 just because you generally walk faster on pavement.

Calgary
Level Contributor
6 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marriott Beach Issues

Beach is less than 10 minutes walk from Marriott to Hemingway's, I did that walk every day for a couple years. Beach is much more relaxing than walking along a busy road with construction. Also as said before you can walk 2 minutes north and setup towels on the beach

Calgary
Level Contributor
6 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marriott Beach Issues

Beach is less than 10 minutes walk from Marriott to Hemingway's, I did that walk every day for a couple years. Beach is much more relaxing than walking along a busy road with construction. Also as said before you can walk 2 minutes north and setup towels on the beach

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marriott Beach Issues

jenpic, can you just switch your reservation to the Westin?

Reply to: Marriott Beach Issues
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted