We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Cayman Expertise Needed: Where to Stay?

NJ
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Grand Cayman Expertise Needed: Where to Stay?

Visited Grand Cayman several years ago and stayed at hotel on 7MB. Was great, but now have two young kids and thinking a condo/villa would be better. Need some info on general areas to target.

Are there condos/villas on 7 MB? Are there other areas of the island worth considering? Pros and cons vs. 7 MB?

Thank you!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,831 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Cayman Expertise Needed: Where to Stay?

There are many condos on 7 mile beach. Go to www.caymanvacations.com for a pretty good and accurate listing. You may want a condo with washer and dryer with 2 little ones.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
423 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Cayman Expertise Needed: Where to Stay?

We're doing our 5th trip to GC this summer, staying on 7-Mile Beach each time.

The condo selection is wonderful. To be on the prime area of the beach, beautiful soft sand and calm water, try Plantana. We've stayed there3 times and found it perfect each time. It's an older condo, but totally updated and immaculately maintained. We love the beach front units on the first floor close to the pool. (I think 7,8, and 9 are the numbers) If you stay in one of these units, you go in and out of your screened patio door and are literally 10 steps from the sandy beach. The patio is a great place to dump sandy gear and shoes as you return to the condo after playing on the beach or pool.

Plantana is more centrally located than the northern section condos, and it is a five minute walk south to the Westin or north to the Courtyard Marriott if you want to walk by and have lunch or drinks at their beachside restaurants.

I've also heard from friends that the northern sections are very nice also, and the condos may be newer there. I've heard good things about Aqua Bay Club and Discovery Point Club. The only drawback is that you are pretty far from restaurants, shopping, etc..., and the beaches will likely have more coral or ironstone mixed in with the sand. The snorkeling is great in this area, however.

I believe you'll find the cost of these condos to be very good and some have summer specials. We buy groceries and try to do most lunches and breakfasts in so we can splurge on dinner out at the wonderful GC restaurants. I think it is more economical than staying in a hotel and buying all meals out.

Hope this helps!

satonthebeach

Illinois
Level Contributor
982 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Cayman Expertise Needed: Where to Stay?

Our first trip there we stayed at Treasure Island Condos (http://www.ticondos.com/) and loved it! We had a first floor beachfront condo. The place was well-maintained, the staff was very friendly, and it was everything they advertised it to be. We own on GC now, so our didn't stay there last year but did go by to see how TI was looking post-Ivan. I must say - it was just as gorgeous as we remembered it.

It's at the start of Seven Mile Beach which was another plus for us. You get the SMB feel w/o being in the middle of hotel row, so it felt less-touristy. If we didn't own elsewhere, we'd stay there every time.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,798 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Cayman Expertise Needed: Where to Stay?

I think much depends on what you have enjoyed in the past. What were your favorite holidays and their pros and cons. Are you looking for a good bargain or are your pockets deep enough that you don't care what a week will cost. Where have you felt crowded or isolated and who else is in your party? It's not meant to be prying, but is helpful in terms of what suits you. Happy hunting.

5. Re: Grand Cayman Expertise Needed: Where to Stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, August 28, 2009