We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin questions

Colorado
Level Contributor
593 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Westin questions

I’ve been scouring the forum and reviews the past couple of days as we may be rethinking our vacation which is scheduled for the Renaissance St Croix in early December. I’m not sure if the property/island will be ready after the Maria damage so looking at plan B...

We’ve never been to Grand Cayman and it looks beautiful! As we are planning on using points, I am leaning toward the Westin (I dont currently have enough for the Ritz). One of our main considerations is the beach, and based on reviews, comments and pictures, the Marriott beach isn’t our idea of relaxing beach time. The Westin’s beach looks beautiful. My concern after reading years worth of posts and reviews is that they possibly let cruise ship passengers use with a pass and let the hotel from across the street have access. Does this create a packed beach area? Do you think the first week of December in Grand Cayman is a real busy time (well, if not in the past, it may be now with so many travelers needing to relocate). At this resort, do you need to get up at dawn and save your beach chairs? That is a real turnoff for me. Also, in reviewers pictures, I see some cabanas or covered type lounge areas. Do these need to be reserved, and if so, how far in advance and what is the cost?

We would not be renting a car; we prefer to taxi and walk. It appears there will be plenty of restaurants within walking distance or a short taxi ride. Is that correct? Also, is the island/area quite casual as far as dinner attire?

Thank you so much for any information. Any information, tips, etc. on the Westin is greatly appreciated.

42 replies to this topic
Colorado
Level Contributor
593 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin questions

I just saw the cruise ship schedule for the week we would be planning, first week of December. There are 3 to 6 ships in every day! Yikes! Nothing against cruisers (we’ve been on 10+ but now much prefer a laid back land vacation). Maybe that week is a peak period? Will snorkel spots and other activities be overrun?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin questions

First of all, Kelly.....relax!

The Westin is a great hotel on a super stretch of Seven Mile Beach. They completed a huge renovation of the ground floor public areas & pool deck last year & it is gorgeous! Room renovations are underway now....supposed to be finished by November, so I would request a renovated room. Never hurts to ask!!

The Westin's beach is far superior to the Marriott's. Lounge chairs are not lined up in rows (I hate that) and umbrellas are spaced along the wide beach. I do not believe that day passes are still available to cruisers. Guests of Sunshine Suites, the Westin's sister hotel across the street, do have use of the Westin's facilities included in their resort fee, but I don't think that this overwhelms the Westin staff. Not sure if you have to 'reserve' your lounge early in the AM (hope not) but the hotel does have a varied assortment of daybeds, loungers etc for an up charge. Again, not sure what that is as I choose to stay in beachfront condo. Perhaps after your first stay in a hotel, you will do that as well. I think that the first week in Dec should be rather quiet.....the Thanksgiving people will have gone home & the Christmas people won't have arrived yet, so you should be right in the middle.

You will be able to walk to several restaurants or take a short taxi ride from the hotel. Do venture out to different restaurants on the island.....don't restrict yourself to the Westin's restaurants. Directly across the street is Eats, an American style diner super for breakfast as well as other meals. Also, the Sunshine Grill is a super spot for fish tacos & burgers, among other things. Cayman is known as the Culinary Capital of the Caribbean, so sample a few different places. Check out www.caymangoodtaste.com for menu selections as well as a great interactive map to show locations. Dress is very casual. Casual dress, capris, etc for ladies. No long pants necessary for men unless you plan to go to Blue at the Ritz. My husband goes everywhere in shorts & a collared shirt. Be sure to book a trip to Sting Ray Sandbar....it's the #1 attraction. Red Sail Sports is onsite at the Westin & they can set you up for that. Reserve for early in your stay in case bad weather causes re-scheduling.

Please come back if you have other questions.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,413 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin questions

Cmparsons has offered excellent and correct info. Westin has not sold day passes for quite a while and most likely will not in the future. We prefer to stay at nearby condos, but know people who have recently stayed at Westin and they did NOT have to claim a beach lounger early each morning. Sounds like St Croix was not devastated and might be okay for you; if not and you opt for GC, you will love it there!

4. Re: Westin questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 pm, September 21, 2017

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
8,860 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westin questions

https://goo.gl/maps/GbPmyBRJqaN2

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,413 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westin questions

Yes, Foster's at Strand and CostUless both within walking distance. Also,there are several shopping plazas, and Camana Bay a short taxi ride.

Ascot UK
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westin questions

That map is brilliant, just what I needed,

Roll on Sunday !!

Thank you

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Westin questions

Actually, IMHO a better map can be found at www.caymangoodtaste.com. Click on their interactive map of SMB & you will see Condos by name as well as a lot of restaurants.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
8,860 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westin questions

Totally agree with cm that there are better restaurant maps. I just posted the result of typing "grocery store westin cayman" into google.

London, UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Westin questions

You raise a good point about potential crowding on the beach following a disastrous string of hurricanes for many Caribbean islands. The Westin is a very nice hotel, it has been renovated recently - but I think the beach can get quite crowded during such a busy time of year. I would call them and ask what their occupancy is like for early December. If you don't get a satisfactory reply then maybe look into renting a condo on the beach, there are many available, (of course you can't use airmiles but you will have your own piece of beach).

Reply to: Westin questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman